The Funeral. I miss her.

by ScoobySnax 11 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

11am Crematorium. Everyone packed in, The cars arrived with my dear Aunt Beryl. And once we all sat down, family, extended family, and friends, the Vicar/Priest began his sermon. Never have I felt so annoyed at his words about someone I knew. It was an awful service for the most part. In front of us all were prayer books that he asked us to pick up and chant together, Turn to page 29.......chant this, .....turn to page 34 all chant that etc etc all formulastic.

Still I thought, if its what comforts my uncle, then thats all that matters. I kept my head bowed throughout and was silent.

We all filed out with me behind my uncle, and did the customary hand shake. And there is everyone looking at the floral tributes. My uncle came up to me and said What a crock of shite, she'd of hated that. I knew just where he was coming from. It was a cold service. The only part that had any feeling to it was that he must have asked them to play their song .......Jennifer Rush "The Power of Love" Now that was moving.

The "wake" was held in the club they both had gone too for 48 years togther, sort of a bar/workingmans club, it went on for about 3 hours and people gradually began leaving. I stayed behind until all that was left was me, my brother, Clive and some sorry looking sausage rolls. We had a good chat, and talked about where Beryl might be now, and where the "essence" of her had gone, and the truth. He cried and so did I.

Unbeknown to me, the night before Clive had handed my mum an envelope for me, and one for the family with strict instructions for it not to be opened until after the funeral and wake. So later on Friday night I opened my envelope and there was a card, ......it said this...

"Scott,

Please accept our very heartfelt thank you for being there with your great family when you were really needed. Beryl wanted to thankyou in her own way, so please accept the enclosed, and have a holiday with the family or whatever. Its both Beryls and my wish that you know just how much we appreciate your being there for us. Whatever you do, enjoy it with Our greatest love , thanks and blessing.

(Signed) Clive and Beryl xx

I was absolutely stunned, in the envelope was £1000. I told mum I couldn't accept that. She said that Clive had specifically said that he wanted no thanks or acknowledegment at all. It was finished.

What to say eh? Clive told me to "Treasure the Ones you Love" you just don't know how long you are going to have them. Don't you think he is so right.

I might be wrong to make known what he'd written in that card. But I just wanted you all to know what a great man he is. And how too late I hadn't got to know them as a couple properly and as much as I now want too, and now its too late./

Forget all the bitterness. Treasure those you still have.

Scott

• copsec
    copsec

I am so sorry for your loss. I feel so deeply for you as I know exactly how you are feeling. BIG HUGS!

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Thanks Copsec, I told him how proud I was that he'd been the one who'd looked after and loved my auntie all those years, and that she couldn't have had a better partner.

• copsec
    copsec

Scott, I am sure he appreciates that tou feel that and that you told him. and yes, I agree with what you said in your first post, treasure those you still have. Sometimes things happens so unexpectedly or quickly and we don't get to say goodbye or tell people what they really mean to us. Everyone please, treasure those you love.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

What a sweet gesture! I wish I could've met them -- they sound wonderful, but I WILL settle for meeting you one day. Learn from them -- they are good role models. In my life, my parents weren't the best but they managed to take me to some really interesting places where I met some really great role models. I learned a little from each one.

Love,

Nina

• Fleur
    Fleur

(((((((((((((((((((scott))))))))))))))))))))))

i am so sorry for your pain.

hugs,

fleur

• talesin
    talesin

*The Funeral. I miss her.*

Yes, now comes the hardest part. You and Clive can help each other with this, Scott, as you both loved her so much. And you showed her while she was alive. That's all we can do for each other, really.

HUGS

talesin

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

(((((((((((((Scott))))))))))))) I can't find the words to say, but I am so sorry for your loss.

• Mulan
    Mulan

What a wonderful tribute to you and your family. That is just incredible. She must have really been something special.

I am so sorry for your loss.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Ahh, the lessons we learn in life, that tear at our heart and change us forever....

What wonderful family and friends you have, and what a treasure they are. Thank you for sharing this most intimate portion of your life with us.

Life never ends. Love never fails. (((())))

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit