Man is designed to be God-oriented, shows new scientific study!

by abiather 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• abiather
    abiather

Meditation slows age-related loss of grey matter in the brain, finds a new study. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150205142951.htm) (see also http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/10/health/can-meditation-really-slow-aging/index.html)

When we eat certain type of food, it shows how it affects our body. If it makes us healthy and even healthier, it means we are designed for that sort of food. Similarly, thinking is like food for the mind. Thinking affects our life.

1)      If we think that we are here by chance, then we begin to feel separated and more important than others, and begin to assert things in favor of us. In such thinking pattern, our desires becomes intense, and turn into anger (if desire is met with obstruction) and greed (if desire is fulfilled). In either situation we are not happy, it will be reflected badly in our physical health too.

2)       A person who is in the habit of meditation go about relaxing his body, withdrawing his attention from everything around him, including his body, viewing himself as pure consciousness (or as immaterial being just like his source) affirming himself to be the embodiment of lofty qualities such as peace, love, compassion (which stem from the conviction that all are made of same substance). This awareness continues even when he engages in other activities of the day. In such thinking pattern, his desires do not become intense, and hence will not turn into anger (if desire is met with obstruction) and nor into greed (if desire is fulfilled). He is equipoised—does not feel elated over the pleasant happenings nor troubled over the unpleasant happenings. In either situation he is alike, and he is never stressed, but in harmony with his body and mind. Such people have less age-related atrophy in the brain's white matter (because their God-oriented attitude appears to help preserve the brain's grey matter, the tissue that contains neurons. The scientists looked specifically at the association between age and grey matter. They compared 50 people who had mediated for years and 50 who didn't. People in both groups showed a loss of grey matter as they aged. But the researchers found among those who meditated, the volume of grey matter did not decline as much as it did among those who didn't. Researchers were surprised by the magnitude of the difference. “We observed a widespread effect of meditation that encompassed regions throughout the entire brain,“ he said.

No wonder we are called human beings! Human refers to the physical aspect whereas Being points to the more important aspect, the immaterial substance. We say—my hand, my leg and my brain—all of which the “I” possess, yet the scientific tools cannot locate this “I” in our body. The only thing we can do is to declare that a person is dead when that "immaterial I" LEAVES his body, taking with it all the features such as ingenuity, power of reason ... etc!

• cofty
    cofty

Mediation has nothing at all to do with superstitious belief in a deity. 

You have totally misrepresented the study. (there's a surprise)

• cofty
    cofty
    The researchers cautioned that they cannot draw a direct, causal connection between meditation and preserving gray matter in the brain. Too many other factors may come into play, including lifestyle choices, personality traits, and genetic brain differences.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Abiather - you seem to be saying that humans' self-awareness and ability to meditate is evidence for the existence of God. Correct?
  • cofty
    cofty
    the scientific tools cannot locate this “I” in our body

Because it does not exist. It just seems that way as we observe our thoughts and experiences. LIfe is a process. When the machine breaks the process stops. There is no ghost in the machine.

• abiather
    abiather

LoveUniHateExams, Yes, you took it out of my mouth correctly.

Our universe is amazing! Our body too (which is a universe in miniature) is amazing.  And we know that to make it possible for life to exist, special physical laws are required in advance.  Neither we nor our parents came to this earth as astronauts went to the moon carrying life-sustaining things which are not available in the moon! When humans found themselves in earth, it was in an-already-prepared condition for humans to live and to enjoy the life! In other words, earth has been intelligently planned.  

Some people do not realize that science, like religion, requires faith.  We make so many assumptions.  We believe that the laws of physics are reliable ­[which is a kind of faith].  We create experiments that can test and verify these laws. If we follow the same scientific practice, then we will have to say God initiated the universe,  He created it.  Science attempts to understand how the universe works. Religion attempts to understand the purpose and meaning of the universe. It’s like studying and analyzing the parts of a vehicle, and explaining how it works (something science does), and saying the purpose of vehicle is for us to travel (something religion does).

Science has its inconsistencies [for example, even General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics are not consistent with each other,  yet,  we think each one of them is correct], just as religion has its puzzles, too.  Science cannot point where in our body the “I” exists, it can only see chemicals and its various combinations, and doesn't allow free will; yet, we think we have free will.  We have to learn to accept inconsistencies in both science and religion.  The more we understand about the two, the greater the possibility of bringing the two streams of thought closer together.  in religion, there is the subject of revelations.  But revelations happen in science, too,  except that a revelation is not called a revelation ­ [which may be called an idea,  a flash of genius,  a new creation …etc]. “When the idea for the laser came to me, I was sitting on a park bench, thinking . . .  why haven't I been able to do this? Suddenly, I got this new idea,” says Nobel laureate Charles Townes who invented the Maser and co-invented the Laser.

No wonder many believe there is a spiritual presence in the universe, though it is difficult to define God. Skeptics would ask, if God created the universe, who created God? So there's always that problem with a beginning. We don’t know the answer! This does not strengthen the view of atheists. Just because we don't know, it doesn’t mean “it can't be.”  Just because we don't know, it means we don't know—that’s all!

No wonder Albert Einstein said: "I'm not an atheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations."

• cofty
    cofty
    We believe that the laws of physics are reliable ­[which is a kind of faith]

No it isn't. Scientists make predictions and then test them to see if they work in the real world. In science nothing is taken on faith. Faith is for lazy people. It is a substitute for thinking.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Abiather - I agree, there are many amazing things about the universe, the natural world and the human body. There are also things that are shocking or depressing.

If I were to ask a religious person about cancer, for example, I might get an answer saying it's due to Man's sin.

But animals suffer from cancer, too. This is not 'amazing'. It is sick.

Consider also, various animal behaviours: rattlesnakes injecting rodents with lethal venom; hyenas selecting a pregnant zebra because the animal can't run away and the developing foetus means more food for the clan; victorious male lions committing infanticide upon takeover of a pride; a parasitic wasp using a caterpillar as a living food source for its young, eagle chicks pushing their weakest sibling out of the nest to reduce competition for food.

All of the above are intellectually stimulating, and make sense when viewed from an evolutionary perspective. But the above examples certainly aren't amazing.

Let's try to be honest - you can't just say 'the world's amazing'. It's a mixed bag.    

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent
    We create experiments that can test and verify these laws [of physics]. If we follow the same scientific practice, then we will have to say God initiated the universe,  He created it. 

No. If we conduct experiments they we should say what the results of those experiments are and what the results mean. We can't ascribe experimental results to God, even if we don't fully understand the topic being studied and the results seem mysterious.

As you correctly say:

Just because we don't know, it means we don't know—that’s all!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

cofty: "Faith is for lazy people. It is a substitute for thinking."

There are scientists who are both rational in their respective fields but nonetheless have faith in a god. A good example is John Cook who's the administrator for skepticalscience.com, a website dedicated to proving man made global warming. He is an evangelical Christian who nonetheless says that religion and science should remain separate.

I was surprised when I heard about him but I know that some people could compartmentalize their minds containing both rational and irrational thoughts in the same brain.

I've run into other educated professionals who are similar in holding both faith and science in the same mind. 

By the way, I am an atheist not a believer. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit