Do JWs know who their Mediator is?

by glitter 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• glitter
    glitter

Last time some JWs came (Saturday) mum arranged for the brother the elder brought to come over and talk to me about the Bible. (I wasn't paying attention...)

Anyway, he turned up today with another brother. Mum sat in and was referree. (Why did I stay in - kind of a sitting target) Anyway, he said "we need to decide what book to study". I said "no no, I don't want a study, at the most I'd like some answers from the Bible" - he went into the whole can't-understand-the-Bible-without-the-publications bit. I said "why would God tell his children something so important but make it impossible to understand?".

*Anyway*... I told them there are specific reasons I don't want to use the publications - and showed them an example doctrine change. Of course they tried to explain it away.

Some other stuff came up - somehow including JWs not fighting in wars... *puzzled*

Then as they were leaving (coming back though), I said "Who is your Mediator?" - they BOTH said JESUS (I was *stunned*). One even went into full turbo-Christian mode "proving" to me from Scripture. I asked them both to research it for me (played dumb).
    Mum let the cat out of the bag with the non-turbo-Christian one, saying she was stunned too when she found out (I told her - but she said they she must've not taken it in when it had been in a magazine or book or had not really thought about it).

So... how many R+F JWs don't know the FDS "is" their Mediator?

I know I should've told them to take a hike but, things are difficult at the moment. I live at home cos I'm disabled and need quite a lot of help and care. My mum's been getting pissed off with me always seeing JWD on my taskbar or open (I'm here every day though I don't post as much as I want cos faster smarter people always say what I want to first and I don't want to be the "me too!" girl.. :)), and that I'm always "going on about it" and that Satan's got me... She's not *once* said any of it is false though. She *knows* it's true and the Truth? is wrong, but... she's trapped because she believes in God.
    So I had to at least try at the Bible study to calm things down... Plus I'm worried if I come out and say I don't believe in God and I'm an apostate then JWs will shun her more than they do *already* (cos she let a elder's wife who was being beaten black and blue daily stay with us - other elders even drove her to our house and *asked us* to shelter her! This was in 1991 - but apparently you don't mess with the big dynasties in the congregations...) and she'll blame me for them shunning her and things - or that they'll accuse her of being apostate too.

This has gone on and on. Really I suppose I'm asking several questions:

• Do ordinary JWs not know who ther mediator "is"?
    • How do you think they'll research it and come back?
    • How would you have reacted or *did* you react when you found out the JWs had contradicted the Bible in this way?
    • Is my mum *ever* going to admit anything about the JWs - I think I'm close, if I ask her if she believes they're God's Channel? she won't answer and just says "I believe in God, and I believe Jesus is his son." or a variation on that. She doesn't defend the WTS.

Anyone?
    Sorry for rambling on, a lot of this has been going round it my head for ages.

Edit: Changed title to make it stand out more. :)
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You are right! Most JWs do not know that Jesus is NOT their mediator.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Very nice post. I am going to start responding slower, so some of the "quiet thinkers" like you have a chance. Maybe you can do some research of your own, if they do actually come back. It would be very interesting if they do find "Christ is our Mediator" in the WT materials, and then you ask about,

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/mediator.htm

At the very least, you can ask them to explain the flip-flop.

If your mom keeps pestering about where your faith is at, try asking her if she REALLY wants to know your true feelings, or would she rather let sleeping dogs lie? Problem is, it sounds like she is a lot like you - a person of principle.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    I'm here every day though I don't post as much as I want cos faster smarter people always say what I want to first and I don't want to be the "me too!" girl..

It doesn't stop me from doing it! I actually like it when someone else comes along and says something the same as me, because it helps me prove to myself that I must have a point if someone else agrees with me.....

I think your spot on about most witnesses not being able to keep up with the flip-floping doctrine of the wbts, but I can't see you being able to get an answer from the elders. Even if they privately agree with you they are not going to publicly question the watchtower so I would take care that this does not backfire and get you labeled as an apostate.

As for your mother, if she would agree with you that the truth is wrong, ask which is more important, doing the things that will make others at the meetings think she is spiritual, or actually doing the things that will please god, even if that is different to what is taught by the watchtower.

Take care....

• JeffT
    JeffT

This was the issue that pushed my wife over the edge. I was already having doubts about propehetic issues, and we were doing some research and tripped over the 1979 Watchtower articles about it. Since that was nine years earlier, either we didn't read the article or just let it slide by like good little dubs. Wife got in a very heated argument with her aunt, the aunt said we should talk to an elder as we probably "weren't reading it right."

I've always wanted to toss this at a witness and see what happens. I don't think most of them know it.

• glitter
    glitter

My mum doesn't pester me - she thinks I pester *her*, and it's getting to be a problem. She believes the scandals about the WTs. It's the JWs I'm worried of finding out the truth because of what it'd do to *her*. :(

It's an odd situation - mum hasn't been to a meeting in like *7 years* - other than bumping into JWs in the street she's only in regular contact with *one* JW (an elder who brings the magazines). She's also been planning what to do on my birthday next week - it's infuriating because she's *nearly* out!

It'll be interesting to find out what they say about the mediator thing - if they *are* looking into their answer (if they aren't there are books on our JW-books bookcase I can show them) I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they find out.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Ooops, I thought you knocked someone up

• glitter
    glitter

LOL

• Gadget
    Gadget
    It's an odd situation - mum hasn't been to a meeting in like *7 years* - other than bumping into JWs in the street she's only in regular contact with *one* JW (an elder who brings the magazines). She's also been planning what to do on my birthday next week - it's infuriating because she's *nearly* out!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/65777/1019075/post.ashx#1019075

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/72713/1162693/post.ashx#1162693

• glitter
    glitter

Ta Gadget, going to read those now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit