Anyone been "marked' from the platform?

by avishai 18 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

I heard it wasn't s'posed to happen, but as late as '89 I've seen the elders give obvious references about who to mark from stage. I can't give the exact example, but , say it's along the lines of "Nobody is to go to that three story house on blank street." That obvious. Any other stories? Why were they marked?

In Organized to accomplish our ministry it says something to the effect of "Marking is done to someone who has'nt done anything wrong, but It's obvious that they might." The exact qute would be helpful

I'm talking about marking, as opposed to reproof.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

My mother let me know after a meeting about 2 years ago, that they'd had a "marking" talk, and that it was fairly obvious that the "markee" was me. I had had a visit from 2 elders a week earlier, so I was curious if anything would be coming from it. However, I had not been to a meeting in 2 years or more, so I think it went over the congregations head, or they may have even thought of other people (the elder response would be, I suppose, that if someone is called to mind by a "marking" talk, they probably need to be marked. Assholes.).

In any case, most witnesses have been friendly and relatively chummy when I've come across them since then, including some elders, so I don't think anyone cared too much about whatever sin of mine that they no doubt rambled about.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oh, why was I marked? In this chat with the elders, I told them that I "didn't see any reason to believe the bible is from a supernatural source".

I actually thought they might disfellowship me, or call me disassociated by my actions. I think they didn't know what to do. One elder seemed to "get" the gravity of what I was saying, and the other elder seemed to...well...."not get" the gravity of what it means not believing the bible is from a supernatural source. I think it confused him, and he struggled with "how do I help this person, and what does he really mean?", while the other one almost made a protective sign of the cross as he hurried them out the door, lol.

I even think that "marking" as opposed to something harsher, might have been a kind gesture to my mother on their part, rare as something like that might be.

• avishai
    avishai

If god has always existed. would'nt that make him natural? Supernatural means outside of natural. Tell those elders, duh!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

"Marking" is ridiculous. Basically an elder gives a Local Needs talk about a certain subject. Perhaps, facial hair for instance. Now everyone has seen Brother Hairygoatman sporting a light ghotee for the past few meetings, they all kinda turn and look at him during the talk.

The elder says something to the effect of how "we should avoid rebellious spirit by now cutting your facial hair when the elders bring it to your attention. How somone who doesnt heed their sugestion would not be showing appreciation for Jehovah's arrangement." So then the next meeting everyone waits to see if Brother Hairygoatman has shaved. If he hasnt.......... well then you know, he's "marked"

Damn highscool popularity contests.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

How long after a behaviour has been questioned does the "marking talk" usually crop up? If it could be timed, it'd be fun to start using it, by keeping up the behaviour until just before the talk.

• fraidycat9
    fraidycat9

Re: Chevysnats

Amen and Hallelujah my brother!!!!!!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

About 5 years ago, we heard about a talk on the Service Meeting that sounded like it was all about us.

One of us (can't remember who now) called one of the elders we had been close to, and asked him if it was true. He had been working that night, so hadn't heard the talk. He asked several about it and they all vehemently denied that it was about us. Of course he told them we had asked. We think they were afraid of lawsuits back then, because one of the rumors was that we were going to sue, which we wouldn't do.

That elder's mother told my mother it was DEFINITELY about us, but with all those denials, who do you believe?

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Hey, Dad (6 of 9):

"We can't say his name, but it starts with 'M' and ends with 'ark'..."

- Teddy G.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

lol, yep fosl, I think the elder actually said something like "ixnay on the eardbay"

Six~ MUST ....... STOP............. CURSING......... class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit