I am finally ready to deal with my father...

by Aztec 23 Replies latest jw friends

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

For a quick list of "characteristics of a cult or mind control organization," check out the book by

Dianne Wilson --- Awakenings of a Jehovah's Witness. She has one chapter that deals with that very topic. Very concise and lucid. I actually made my own file of those characteristics (on my home computer). I printed them up and read the list objectively and honestly. I checked nearly 95% of the traits when I evaluated the WTS. ( I would be happy to PM them to you this evening, if you like).

For a more in depth look at Cults, mind control, and intervention, Steve Hassan's book is the one to get -- Combatting Cult mind Control. It should help you with strategies for dealing with your dad, or any loved one in a cult environment. The author was a "moonie" before he came out. Dealing with cults and "deprogramming" is his specialty, or so it seems.

If you are looking for a quick reference to ALL of the false prophecies of the WTS, a quick index is Index of Watchtower Errors, 1879 to 1989, David A. Reed (Editor) --- available at amazon or barnes and noble. It reads easily, and is designed by topic.

Local libraries may well have these available...

False prophecy was a big thing for me. So much so that I paid big $$$ for some of the old Studies in the Scriptures volumes. I wanted to verify that the prophecies that were listed indeed were published by the WTS.---- thery were -- every one that I referenced to the ORIGINAL source material checked out.

The WTS hangs themselves with their own noose. No need for "apostate" literature. They discredit themselves with their own publications.

EyeDrEvil

• logansrun
    logansrun

Aztec,

I think there's a lot out there that you can find; there's a plethora of information out there, you just need to sift through it. When dealing with your father try to detach your emotions as best you can from the subject matter. I know that seems incredibly hypocritical for me to say since I recently had a very emotional outburst with my mother regarding the JWs. But you will get a better response -- and you will feel better about yourself -- if you take a non-emotional, "take it or leave it" approach about this stuff.

Unless your dad is pressing you and always bringing it up I wouldn't necessarily talk to him about it at all.

Bradley

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

This might help, but it would be even better to get an original copy.

http://www.network-innovation.net/WT-1-1-1989-original.jpg

My father just puts this kind of thing down to mistakes, he puts everything down to mistakes. The Org is allowed to make them, it's only other cults that can be false prophets.

Duet 18:20

"?However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.?

After our last discussion, I doubt that he will bring up his theology with me again, but it won't stop him from polishing the outside of his filthy cup in my presence. He, so far, refuses to look up the quotes from the Trinity brochure. I could get hold of some of the books they quote from to show him how they have used half truths and lies to deceive him, but what's the point? Maybe that would work on your Dad. Mine wants to die/live forever a faithful JW and he's 80 and been in for 60 years and I am sure the real truth would be devastating for him.

Never make the mistake of discussing doctrine with my father, he is the slipperiest, slimiest, arrogant, indroctrinated cult victim you could ever wish to avoid. Jehovah's Terrorist.

My mother, rationalises ANY truth that is contrary to ANY belief system she has. I have only ever convinced her of one important thing in my life. It saved her from a quadruple bypass and her last check showed a healthy ticker and no blocked arteries at all, but she still wont believe anything else I tell her.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Black Sheep, when it comes to old folks it may not be wise to shake up their little worlds. After years and years of being fed "spiritual food" by the wts it highly unlikely most of them will break away as most of us have done.

After leaving I was angry and confused for a while and I was a lot younger (early 40's). Make sure your parents are happy with their current situation and, if they are, it might be best to leave well enough alone. On the other hand if they are not happy with your situation, then that would need to be addressed. Bug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit