Tertullian & June 15/00 WT on Blood

by hawkaw 37 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

hello hawk,

I'm glad you found it useful, 'waiting".

I have another one on the go as well but it will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Well, I'll be "waiting" patiently - and thus the meaning of my name - forever waiting on something or another.

Nice to meet you - thank you for your time and effort. I appreciate it.

"waiting" - as usual.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

bttt for maxmus' friends???

hawk

• ros
    ros

hawk:

I'm very interested in your involvement with AJWRB. Would you consider posting me privately:
    [email protected]

Thanks,

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hi Ros,

This is a honour.

The deal is done and on its way.

Sorry but I will not be able to reply to anything that you send tonight for the reasons sited in my Email to you.

Take care.

hawk

• TD
    TD

In the same vein (no pun intended) it is interesting to note the marked difference between these two quotes:

“Eusebius, a third century writer who is considered the “father of Church history,” relates what occurred in Lyons (now in France) in the year 177 C.E. Religious enemies falsely accused Christians of eating infants. During the torture and execution of some Christians, a girl named Biblias responded to the false accusation, saying: “How can we eat infants—we, to whom it is not lawful to eat the blood of beasts.”"
    (Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Question of Blood, 1977, p. 13)

“Eusebius tells of a young woman near the end of the second century who, before dying under torture, made the point that Christians “are not allowed to eat the blood even of irrational animals.” She was not exercising a right to die. She wanted to live, but she would not compromise her principles. Do you not respect those who put principle above personal gain?”
    (How Can Blood Save Your Life? 1990 p. 5)

As hawk has noted, the clear implication in the second quote is that Biblias died as a result of a refusal to eat blood - which is completely untrue.

Tom

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks for the additional quote Tom.

Its just like what Maximus says - they rehash the old material without thinking and reading the actual quote to ensure accuracy. I also suspect they do it on purpose or they have had one too many run ins with the "stupid stick".

Question for you Tom - There was a Tom on the old H20 board who brought out some really good quotes that showed how the present quotes in WT and A! articles were lies when compared to what was said in the past. Are you that same Tom?

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Jerry,

Eusebius Hieronymus

Eusebius - Eusebius (A.D. 263-339), a Greek Christian writer, was born in Palestine and educated at Caesarea, the city of which he later became bishop. A close friend of Emperor Constantine, the Greek Bishop Eusebius wrote the only surviving account of the Church during its first 300 years. Apart from this work we would know little of its rapid extension, its vitality, tribulation, persecutions, and martyrdoms. He deals with the ordeals of 146 martyrs, the teachings of 47 heretics, and the proceedings leading up to the major Councils, especially Nicea.

Hieronymus - or St Jerome, c.345-420, was the most learned of the Four Doctors of the western church. One of T. Bartholin's favorite church fathers.

It is an honour to know you Jerry.

hawk

• TD
    TD

hawkaw,

Question for you Tom - There was a Tom on the old H20 board who brought out some really good quotes that showed how the present quotes in WT and A! articles were lies when compared to what was said in the past. Are you that same Tom?

I'm the "Tom" from H20, but to be honest and give credit where credit is due, many of those examples of JW "historical idealism" (...cough cough) were originally discovered by AlanF.

Tom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit