Motorcyclists

by blobby 14 Replies latest jw friends

• blobby
    blobby

Anyone got any views on "Bikers" in the cong ? i.e. Has anyone turned up to the hall in leathers....if so what reaction did you get ?............any loving comments from the elders?

• Gadget
    Gadget

I got a visit from two elders when I first got my bike, they wanted to know if they could have a go of it!!! I've known a few people get hassle from elders for 'partaking in a hazardous persuit' over it, but in my area they were pretty liberal. A lot of the jws in my area, elders included, were into fast cars and quite a few had sports cars along with a more sensible car for the meetings.

Edited to add:

I quite often used to use my bike to go to the meetings, I wore overtrousers and a jacket over the top of my suit. I did this to the memorial 2002, and also to the convention 2003. At the convention I chained my bike up next to the main doors, you could hear the noise from my open pipe echoing around the arena..........

• new light
    new light
    At the convention I chained my bike up next to the main doors, you could hear the noise from my open pipe echoing around the arena..........

Cool. I never heard anything negative about my bike when in dubworld. People mostly just wanted to try it out or ride on the back.

One time I rode to the book study in full JW attire, no covering, tie flapping in the breeze. Just wanted to see if there was a reaction from other motorists. Got some funny looks and a few pointing fingers.

• garybuss
    garybuss

When I was 18 I bought a 1948 Harley 74 Panhead hardtail, all dressed out in bags, spotlights, and windshield. I rode it to the Hall every chance I got. My parents hated it and told me so. That was in 1963 when Knorr's pants still had a crease and before the elder fiasco.

One guy asked me how do you go in service on that "Harley?", I asked him, "How do you go in service in that "Nash?" .

In my experience, as long as I supported the Publishing Corporation and attended Corporation sponsored meetings and distributed Corporation produced materials, and acted like a believer, I could drive about anything I wanted.

My car was a 1959 Cadillac:-)

I got WAY more comments on the Cadillac than I got on the cycle. I was a rebel. I didn't care:-) Still don't. GaryB

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

When my son bought a motorcycle, the local Elders were very upset over this.Don't park it in the parking lot,its a bad example.Then I showed them the article in the Awake mag.that showed the C.O. riding one in the field service in different parts of the world.They frowned on this and said that's over there , not here.Maybe they should of got a job at the MVD.or, rewrote the Awake mag to explain their reasons why you can't ride a motorcycle here in the city.

Blueblades

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Just a side point ,we had this Belthelite who loved to SURF.He would bring his Surfboard to the Kingdom Hall, and right after the Sunday meeting, instead of going out in the field service he would head for the beach to wind surf.Well, the Elders scolded him out , again another bad example to the congregation, especially since he was a Bethelite and young.Soon after that he left Bethel.

Blueblades

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

i never knew anyone who rode their bike to the meeting, but my dad has had a bike as long as i can remember. as far as i know he's never taken any flack for it either. there were plenty of guys who had bikes, but come to think of it, i only knew one woman who did. maybe that's why my mom is freaking out about me getting one.

i did take alot of grief for buy my mustang when i was still in. my dad came to my defense though. he reasoned that it was no different than him owning a pickup, so no one really had a reason to complain about what i wanted to spend my money on. seems like perfect reasoning to me

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I bought my Harley dresser 2 years ago. Since I've been "faded" away for 4 years......no one even knew I had it.

But whenever I would run into a JW, I would make it a point to tell them that I was now Harley owner.

"Was a Harley owner"........I miss it........got broadsided last October and the bike was totaled.........but I'm here!

HappyDad

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I bought my Harley dresser 2 years ago. Since I've been "faded" away for 4 years......no one even knew I had it.

But whenever I would run into a JW, I would make it a point to tell them that I was now Harley owner.

"Was a Harley owner"........I miss it........got broadsided last October and the bike was totaled.........but I'm here!

HappyDad

• simplesally
    simplesally

Oh yes, anytime a person buys a new car, it seems the vultures have to eye it and determine whether or not it is appropriate for service.

Does it have 4 doors?

Is it a showy display?

Is it clean enough?

Is it mechanically sound?

How much did it cost?

You mean I can't put the top down on my Porsche and take just one other person to the territory? I guess everyone should have the Honda Civic 4 door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit