JW's can't associate w/worldly types but can take thier money???

by Agnes 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Agnes
    Agnes

I understand that JW's aren't supposed to associate with worldy types, but they can do business with them right? Just seems sort of contradictory. "I can't associate with you but I can take your dirty money and will pretend to like you to get it".

Agnes

• Scully
    Scully

Welcome to the forum!

JWs use a scripture to rationalize their behaviour:

*** Rbi8 1 Corinthians 7:29-31 ***Moreover, this I say, brothers, the time left is reduced. Henceforth let those who have wives be as though they had none, 30 and also those who weep be as those who do not weep, and those who rejoice as those who do not rejoice, and those who buy as those not possessing, 31 and those making use of the world as those not using it to the full; for the scene of this world is changing.

That doesn't make it right, but it does kind of give you a glimpse into the mindset you're dealing with. Use the world only as much as you need to in order to live, but remember that your priority is to put Kingdom Interests First?.

Truly though, you've just figured out something that takes a lot of people years to learn: JWs real god is the Almighty Dollar.

Love, Scully

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Ah yes, kinda the same way a JW can accept Christmas and Birthday presents from "Worldly" people, but cannot give any in return.....

• kls
    kls

This is one BIG problem for me that really pisses me off. We are wordly and evil and the worst sinners, but when it comes to our money, we are wonderful and loving. As my jw husband say's when i bring that same question up " what are we supposed to do ". Make jw money keep it away from wordly, evil , apostates and if it should come in contact with evil people , burn it.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Also,

They take advantage but don't give back -- in other ways.

They refuse to serve in war but enjoy the freedoms that others have fought for.

They will not serve as a police officer but will definitely use the police when they need to.

They won't give blood but will accept blood fractions.

• kls
    kls

AMEN ,,,,,,,GOPHER

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

And they Breathe OUR air, and only give HOT AIR in return!!!

• kls
    kls

Ohiocowboy,,,,, that is so true and funny. LOL

• Corvin
    Corvin
    "I can't associate with you but I can take your dirty money and will pretend to like you to get it".

I can take this one further . . .

I have a friend who is also df'd. She now lives on the property her father left her when he died. Also living on the same property is her sister, a JW in good standing. Every time the two sisters see each other the JW sis totally ignores and turns her nose up at the df'd sister. When their father died, everything was left to the df'd sister, including a large amount of money. Nothing was left to the JW sister or their brother. Out of a kind heart, the df'd sister split the cash in three equal sums and gave it to them. The JW sister still treats the df'd sister like crap.

Being bothered very much over this, the df's sister called an elder and asked if it was OK for a JW in good standing to take a cash gift from a DF'd person. The elder resonded, "I don't see why not."

Again, another prime example of the hypocrisy in the organization.

Corvin

• Scully
    Scully

Y'know, I'm really dreading the eventuality of my JW parents' getting older and needing assistance from their kids. Having been treated as though I no longer exist for the past several years, it's going to be a real difficult thing for me to rise above that and do the loving and humane thing and help them. Part of me tells me that it's sooooo petty for me to want to treat them the way they have treated me for over a decade. Another part of me says "Forgive them, they don't know what they are doing."

I also remember how easily they were able to allow JW "responsibilities" to trump their obligation to assist their own non-JW parents, even though whenever they needed help, it was almost as though they felt entitled to ask these same non-JW relatives for money.

I guess it boils down to the kind of Karma I want for myself at the time.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit