Interpreting the Bible in it's cultural context

by logansrun 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• logansrun
    logansrun

My problem with "liberal" theologians is by what criterion do they establish what they can and should believe in?

B.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

In liberal theology, I guess the problem is not what people can (and especially should) believe in. You have to forget about any kind of external "authority".

The only valuable criterion is actual meaning, or interest. What (if anything) in the old book (or in the old dogma) still seems to make sense for people in a new context? How can it now make sense, regardless of the difference in interpretation with the so-called "original meaning"?

This enlarged concept of "Scriptural authority", including the reader him/herself, might be traced back to Luther at least.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    I do not believe this and consider myself to be an agnostic, a point which I do not find necessary to elaborate on here.

Not meaning to hijack your thread here, Logan, but, just a thought: ever checked out "scientific pantheism" as your true belief, instead of the bulkier, "aged" term "agnostic?

Terri, as ever your dearest "Ex-JW" friend and anti-typical archetype

• logansrun
    logansrun

Sunygal,

I've thought of that. I think "agnostic" is apporpriate for me at this point because of what the word means: "without knowledge."

B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit