So, Who has Cicadas??

by Nikita 9 Replies latest social current

• Nikita
    Nikita

I have just started observing them in my neck of the woods. I'm fascinated with them and love to hear them especailly the sound that I hear further away -like an eery, rolling, humming-type sound through the mountain valleys.

Anyone else observing them??

• maxwell
    maxwell

I've got them. When they first started appearing, I didn't think I would see any in the city, but they're on trees right outside my 10 story apartment building a slightly busy commuter route into the city. I ride my bicycle to work everyday and my route takes me along a bike trail that is very quiet in some places. That's where I first saw them and there one place where there's quite a few now. I saw them hanging on to railings on a bridge over the Potomac this morning. I've been carrying my digital camera and taking pictures. The camera also has mpeg movie capabilities, so I hope to find a really deserted place where all I hear is the cicadas and make a recording. Then plan to post the pictures and the movie on a website.

• Nikita
    Nikita

Thanks for replying!

Nikita

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I don't have them where I live now, but when I was a kid in SE Texas we had them all the time... they were of a species that is different from the one's that emerge every 17 years.

Every summer we would hear them all singing outside. We would also find their skin shells all over the trees where they molted and flew away. Sometimes we would go out late at night and collect them while they were molting and bring them in to watch. It was amazing to see them change. Their wings would slowly grow from being small shriveled and wrinkled to being outstretched and firm, ready to fly.

I have to admit that as a kid I was kinda mean to them. I would catch them and tie a string around the joint where the thorax and abdomen meet and then let them go. They would end up flying in a circle going around and around and around making their noise Wwwrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

• simplesally
    simplesally

Elsewhere! You big meanie!

We won't get them in California, so take pics.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

We're supposed to get them anyday.

Devon

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I haven't seen or heard any yet, but they say we're due for an onslaught. It will make June fun ... along with the annual lightning bug round-up. It's always fun chasing them around the yard with the kids.

• Nikita
    Nikita

Elsewhere, you were a meanie! But since your so cute, and you were just a "kid" I'll let it slide!

The wildlife love 'em but once they get their fill, I guess we'll see even more of them.

• Nikita
    Nikita

Here's a picture of what they look like from our local paper:

(Photo credit: John A. Bone/Times-News)

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

We don't have them now, but, just before I exited, say maybe 7 or 8 years ago, we had them here in CT. It was unbelievable how they sounded, and of course they are soooo cool looking. They had alot of coverage on them, re: the fact that all the developing is disturbing their habitat and could end up causing their extinction. Where there used to be wide ranges of them, they are now found only in isolated pockets throughout the USA.

Terri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit