Awake July 8th extolls the virtues of Beer

by BluesBrother 18 Replies latest jw friends

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Well, I for one have never been a beer drinker and until recently, never understood why it was so popular.

BUT I bought some Corona Extras for my son and decided to try a nice cold one with lunch one day and was pleasantly surprised how relaxed and downright "happy" it makes me feel. So the next day, I had another. Unbelievable how well one feels from drinking beer!

So I mentioned this to my son, who by this time is laughingly calling me "a lush" (lol!) and he said that this "feel good" phenomenon is well known among beer drinkers! I only wish I had known all these years!! I thought people just liked the flavor....

Oh well, I'm learning lots of interesting things lately that apparently all the rest of you have known for quite some time....happy me.

• new light
    new light

Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOVVVEEEE beer. But this one stinks just like the one they ran a year or two ago extolling the many virtues of the not so humble coffee bean. Don't get me wrong, I love coffee too, but these two substances are the driving force of the rank-and-file dubsters.

Alcohol dulls your judgement enough for the WT doctrine to make some sense, and the coffee (and alcohol sometimes) get the publishers through the hourly requirements. That is, unless you are smart enough to play a round of golf with an unbaptized interested one who can stand talking religion for more than 3 seconds. There's 3-4 hours per round, no problemo!! Of course, beer helps immensely here too.

• blondie
    blondie

I spent enough time around Bethelites to know that they are not shy about drinking beer. I think they kept the local stop and rob in business. Around here there is no shyness about drinking beer or other alcoholic beverage. Some of the biggest boozehounds are the elders. The PO once got a DWI ticket on the way to the KH.

Blondie

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    The PO once got a DWI ticket on the way to the KH.

lol thats funny, it could have made a funny home video.

• blondie
    blondie

I see that the article was written by a WTS correspondent from the Czech Republic. Now they KNOW beer.

The Czech Republic: Home of Pilsner.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. - Frank Zappa

The Czech Republic (consisting of Bohemia and Moravia) has played an important role in the development of the type of beer that we commonly drink today. To this day Bohemian beer is revered the world over for its quality and character. Czech consumers certainly give their own beers the thumbs-up.

By all accounts the Czechs drink more beer per capita, overwhelmingly Czech in origin, than any other nation in the world-Germans and Irish included. The Bohemians were pioneers in the development of the pale beers that we commonly refer to as Pilsners-a style that we now associate with pale, well-hopped lagers with crisp carbonation. The name comes from the town of Pilsen in the Czech Republic where this style of beer was first produced early in the 19th century. The popularity of the beer earned it the name "pilsner beer" and the rest is history. Pilsner Urquell, the leading beer in Pilsen, is still one of the most popular Czech beer exports, and a fine benchmark of the style.

The history of Czech beer, or at least Czech beer styles, does not end here. In the latter part of the 19th century a certain American brewery owner named Adolphus Busch was traveling in Bohemia when he tasted and was impressed by the local style of beer in a town named Ceské Budejovice. The beer, better known elsewhere in Europe by the German version of the name of the town, Budweis, was none other than Budweiser Budvar, the original Czech "Bud." It was known in Bohemia as the "Beer of Kings" because King Ferdinand of Bohemia had made it the beer of choice in his royal court in the 16th century. Mr. Busch liked the name and slogan so much that he used variations of both when he returned to his own brewing enterprise in St. Louis. "Budweiser: King of Beers" (the brand and slogan) now belongs, in the U.S. market, to the Missouri-based brewing giant Anheuser-Busch. U.S. consumers, unfortunately, cannot sample the Czech version (so it is not reviewed here) without visiting one of a number of European countries where it is still very popular, and can be legally sold under its own name.

Today, as well as being a major beer exporter, the Czechs still produce the finest hops for pilsner-style lager beers. These hops are imported in volume by large U.S. brewers, even if they are not generally used quite so liberally in the brewing process as by their Czech counterparts. The lack of a huge diversity of beer styles in the Czech Republic should not be taken as a sign of its brewing stagnation. When fresh, Czech Pilsners are among the finest examples of the style to be found in the United States, as most domestic lager producers have never aspired to achieving Czech levels of flavor.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"Under your tutelage there has grown up a glorification of alcohol and condemnation of total abstinence which is unseemly.... Whether I am a total abstainer is nobody's business but my own. But not so at Bethel. There appears to be a definite policy of breaking in newcomers into the use of liquor, and resentment is shown against those who do not join them. The claim is made, 'One can't be a real Bethelite without drinking beer.' Shortly after we arrived it was arrogantly stated, 'we can't do much with Moyle, but we'll make a man out of Peter.' A New York brother intimated that I was out of harmony with the truth and with the Society because I didn't drink liquor. A New York sister stated that she had never used liquor or served it until some of the Bethel boys insisted upon it. A brother who used to drink liquor in excess became a total abstainer after getting the truth. He knew that a single drink of liquor would start him off to his former drinking habits, but in spite of that brethren from Bethel insisted upon his imbibing liquor and inferred that he was out of harmony with the organization through refusing. Total abstainers are looked upon with scorn as weaklings. You have publically labelled total abstainers as prudes and therefore must assume your share of responsibility for the Bacchus like attitude exhibited by members of the family." (Letter by Olin R. Moyle to Judge J. F. Rutherford, 21 July 1939, pp. 5-6)

• Mum
    Mum

Hey, Valis! As our District Overbeer, do you endorse this article? Were you consulted? Surely it was your influence on those who monitor these boards (and those to whom they report) that prompted its publication. Congrats, my apostate brother!

Regards,

SandraC

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The Bastards.

I'm waiting for the light to get brighter and have them ban all alcohol.

That's the only thing that could ever drive some of my family out.

I'm actually all in favour of prohibition.

I make a mean drop (not beer) and prohibition would make it worth something.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

And to think that I was privately reproved and publicly reproved for this same offense two night apart for drinking BEER !!

Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit