Has your prayer life changed?

by poppers 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poppers
    poppers

I am wondering if or how your method of prayer has changed? This question is for everyone, including never-been dubs (which I am). What does prayer mean to you, not what others have told you it means. Have you explored methods of prayer other than discursive prayer like contemplative prayer or christian meditation. Or perhaps you have dropped all formal methods of prayer altogether for whatever reason.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Hi Poppers,

I've dropped formal methods of prayer, not for any reason, but spirit isn't about form. I don't see any problems with people who want to do that, but I just don't see any reason to do this song and dance when spirit to spirit is direct. I seem to recall a scripture from the JW days saying something to the effect of the spirit makes supplication with groanings unuttered, too. But of course, right when you say something like that people have a tendancy to process that in the mind, whereas that really gets you farther away from it.

By the way, since you were never a JW what brought you to this board?

• poppers
    poppers

Mark -

I too have dropped all forms of prayer. When I was still attending church (Catholic) and we were asked to "pray" I felt uncomfortable because when praying I suddenly felt myself separate from god. I believe this resulted from a long-standing meditation practice. After leaving the church for many years I "rediscovered" it for a short time when I investigated the mystical teachings of some of the saints, but eventually I dropped it again because I found myself trying to have the same experiences and failing, for the most part. Eventually I was led to nondualism and everything became clear once I dropped all notions of who I thought I was, and any and all practices became an obstruction to realizing who I really am.

My interest in the question stems from wondering how or if people in general become complacent about their partcicular yearning to grow spiritually. Are people willing to explore beyond what they have in most cases accepted from others, or do they tend to keep doing what has been previously done.

As for how I came to this site: while teaching as a 4th grade substitue teacher, one day a little girl asked my permission to pass out Watchtower literature to her classmates. Of course I had to turn her down, which I would have anyway even if it wouldn't have been against school policy. It piqued my interest, however, as to what would prompt someone so young to do such a thing so I did some research on the internet and found this site, which I found to be very illuminating. I must confess that one story after another about how the WT affected otherrs' lives kept me coming back for more. In the end, I found a group of sincere people who I felt a sort of kinship with, people I would enjoy knowing and having as friends.

• Dolllie
    Dolllie

I "attempt" to pray everday, & my goal is often met! I seem to do a bit better without the structured format of the "Witnesses" program. I occasionally read, some of the articles in the Watchtower & Awake, but do not feel obligated to do it, nor do I answer the questions. I make sure my focus is on the "Bible", not the "study aid", & I look up as many scriptures as needed that they reference if I am using one for some reason. .... and I also uses study aids (if you want to call them that) from my own religion.... Then I draw my own conclusions.

I keep a log of how many days I do "pray", so that it becomes a comfortable & wanted habit! I found that I prefer to pray in the morning. After I do my "reading", I have a breif personal conversation with God.

When I was with the "Witnesses" ( I studied with then for about 8 months), I just sat there at the meetings & listened. I did attend the Bible studies on Wednesday, to socialize. I did not understand what the purpose of the other meeting during the week was for, so I only attended one.

My study ended with them as a result of "not getting answers to my questions" & the don't ask questions, just do it attitude. (I am not a follower by nature, so it became difficult to "blindly" follow the rules)

The group I was with were still friendly with me after I stopped attending. I had no problems with that! (unlike many on this board)

• gumby
    gumby

It's taking me awhile to pray different. For awhile, I would pray as I did as a dub asking god for favors from him to help certain ones and care for me and protect me. Then......I think of all those who pray and still suffer and think to myself...."why would god help me with my menial problems when he dosen't help millions who need him more than I do.? If he can't stop children from starving to death, why the hell should he help me"? Then I feel stupid and mad.

Now when I pray, I simply thank whoever is responsible for life and for the beauty we see. I don't know if anyones listening.......but it surely can't hurt.

Maybe it just makes us feel better to thank someone and figure if there is a higher power, they will appreciate our thoughts of them. Maybe it's a security blanket for us even though we know we may be talking to thin air.....but it makes us feel better anyway. Maybe maybe maybe. I'm getting tired of maybies. Maybe's don't tell us anything.....they only make us wonder more.

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I natter away to "Daddy" any time I feel like it. Quite often the "Bro" gets the brunt of my babbling, too.
    On rare occasions I pray to the Holy Spirit, but (s)he is a constant companion, anyhow. That particular connection is unceasing (the others are too, but I tend to "formalise" them more often, to clarify my mind).

If the question is directed at changes since I was a JW, there is no comparison.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I really really tried and it didn't make any difference that I can tell....

....Let me take that back. I think it helps you focus on an issue and think it through.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I agree with confusedjw that it helps you focus, so while I don't feel motivated to pray regularly or thankfully as before, I do find that when I'm really concerned for someone else, I can't help but pray for them, and simply hope that the prayer is heard, if there is a God listening.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Since being DF'd, prayer pretty much stopped for me due to anger at the borg, and at God for allowing the harsh treatment (Hadn't the Judicial Committee prayed for Holy Spirit before sentencing me ??)

I've never really got back into a prayer pattern since, although I did pray for a very good friend when he told me he was going to leave the JayWits - pretty much a babbling gush of emotion, asking that he might be guided in the right decision. Methinks he was......!

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I always loved to pray, it was so amazing to me that I might not be able to reach anyone to help me when I called my phone company, but I could talk to the creator of the universe whenever I needed to. I still do pray, every day, only differently. The first thing I had to do was stop saying the name Jehovah. Now it's more because I truly want to talk to the creator, not because I feel obligated; also I think my prayers, as they reflect my growing relationship with Her, are more meaningful and sincere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit