Famous Last Words

by You Know 57 Replies latest jw friends

• You Know
    You Know

The Great Depression had more to do with shaping the character and defining the last century than any other event, except the great wars that caused and followed the Depression. The structure of the financial system though has radically changed since that time, in that it is many times larger, global in fact, and it is much more fragile and complex, in that it reacts nearly instantaneously to various factors. The average person is now much more dependent upon and indebted to the system as well. For instance, back in the 30's half the population was still living in rural areas and had a degree of self-sufficiency. Society, too, was more docile and governable. Hence, we see pictures of gaunt and desperate men standing patiently in soup lines to get their daily ration. That would never happen today. The cities would go up in smoke if people miss the next meal.

The one thing that hasn't changed though in the 70-year interim, is the foolishness, greed, and denial that caused the crash in the first place. In the United States the kind of thinking that the good times will never end has once again pervaded nearly everyone's mind. Even the recent 4-5 trillion dollar NASDAQ crash has been propagandized as a "market correction," a mere bump in the road to greater riches. Of course that's a lie. The financial system is mortally wounded. Many companies and nations are staggering under mounting losses as the underlying economy crumbles.

The reason this is noteworthy is that the physcology of denial, evident in the world in general, is the basic thinking behind the apostate movement today. Jesus said as much when he described the reasoning of his evil slave, who says: "My master is delaying." Evidently as the last days drag on, more and more Christians are seduced by the reasoning or ridiculers that "all things are continuing exactly the same." The evil slave then trots out the undeniable record of false expectations of the faithful slave, and says, 'See, they've been saying the system was going to end for over 100 years, and the kingdom is no nearer now than it was back then.' Of course, Jesus acknowledged that his arrival would appear to delay, even into the proverbial last watch of the night, which is obviously where we are presently. That delay is in fact what induces the apostasy among the faithless in the first place.

At any rate, Jehovah's Witnesses aren't the only ones who have suffered false expectations. I thought some of you might enjoy reading some famous last words that were uttered by "experts" in the period leading up to the Great Depression. It puts things into perspective today. More on looming doom soon. / You Know

CLICK HERE >>>> http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_01/seymour062001.html

• AlanF
    AlanF

Do keep this in mind, Booby:

False expectations promulgated in your own name make you wrong.

False expectations promulgated in the name of God make you a false prophet.

AlanF

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I'm looking forward to You Know's last words, famous or not.

You Know, please please PLEASE enroll in college and take some economics courses.

Expatbrit

• You Know
    You Know

Do keep this in mind, Alan: False expectations promulgated in your own name is why I have dubbed you Alan Fraudbacker.

/ You Know

• You Know
    You Know
    You Know, please please PLEASE enroll in college and take some economics courses.

Do you know who John Maynard Keynes is? If you take a college course in economics, you will likely be steeped in Keynsian economic philosophy. He is considered to be one of the founders of modern economics. On the page that I linked to his quote is on the top of the list. Do you want to revise your imbecilic advice?

"We will not have any more crashes in our time."
    - John Maynard Keynes in 1927

/ You Know

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

YK has been blathering on about an imminent financial collapse since 1998.

Since that time, I have made enough money to purchase my first house, a Saturn coupe for my wife, a Taurus SHO for myself, three brand new work vehicles for my company, three different computer systems, five cellular phones, $25,000.00 advertisements in two phone books, a huge remodeling project of my showroom, and have plenty of money in the bank.

My business primarily consists of projects and services entirely unessential for basic human survival.

Yeah, everything sure has sucked for three years. I guess the next three are just gonna get worse and worse.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

You Know:

Getting into an exchange based on silly quotations is not a well considered move on your part, given the proclivities to ridiculous sayings of the organisation you espouse.

Like most economists, Keynes did not claim to be God's mouthpiece on Earth, therefore mistakes on his part are understandable. That does not invalidate the entire profession of mainstream economics. Nor does it lend validity to the Watchtower/Larouche whacko fringes.

Your attempt to give credence to your doom-mongering through straw-men fallacies is entirely unconvincing.

Expatbrit

• You Know
    You Know

Lots of people made money leading up to the Great Depression. That's the point. Financial bubbles always create the illusion of prosperity, and most people are seduced by the mirage. Sure, people are still making money now, but it is not going to last---that's the point. It's just paper in most cases, which not coincidently, so is confetti. So, unless you paid cash for your house and all that junk that you bought, what you are telling us is that you are like millions of Americans in that you are in debt up to your neck. And what's worse, you have deluded into thinking that you are rich! That's the definition of a sap.

Click here >>>> http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/business/993029416241290.xml

• You Know
    You Know
    Like most economists, Keynes did not claim to be God's mouthpiece on Earth

No, but many morons mistook him for God, and along with Alan Greenspan, many apparently still do. / You Know

• AlanF
    AlanF

You Know, Booby, it never ceases to amaze me how you can manage to spout so many asinine non-sequiturs and still think you're actually giving an answer to your critics. You really ought to apply for Bethel and join the Writing Correspondence Department.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit