1975 - Love it or hate it?

by outbutnotdown 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I remember hearing about this date as early as 1968 or 69 when I was around 7-8. I figured I had 7 years to get baptized, so didn't take it so seriously, until 1974. Then I was really scared, and thunderstorms made me nearly come out of my skin. I just couldn't tow the line, cuz Mom didn't think I was spiritual enough to get baptized. I wonder what *she* was thinking... After 1975 came and went, I breathed a sigh of relief, but it traumatized me for all those years, being afraid I was going to be destroyed. sigh...

CG

• Englishman
    Englishman

>>>>>> But I should have said 1975 was all audio. If you missed the meetings for those years you could have missed it.<<<<<<<<

*Sigh*

Look at my post earlier, this was was a clip from The Watchtower.

Englishman.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes
    To give aid today in this critical time to prospective sons of God," announced President Knorr, "a new book in English, entitled ?Life Everlasting?in Freedom of the Sons of God,? has been published." At all assembly points where it was released, the book was received enthusiastically. Crowds gathered around stands and soon supplies of the book were depleted. Immediately its contents were examined. It did not take the brothers very long to find the chart beginning on page 31, showing that 6,000 years of man?s existence end in 1975. Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. "The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed," said a conventioner. Surely it was one of the outstanding blessings to be carried home!

So more proof 5999 years of creation ended in 1974!

Armegedon has been close since John of Patmos wrote Revelations. You know they have comericals with people existing theaters telling you how great the movie they saw was.

"The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed," said a conventioner.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I am thinking about the date and imagining if my mother then had been dissolutioned and quit when the end didn't come in 75. I had two years to graduate from high school.. hadn't met my soon after graduation JW husband to be who would abuse me...

could have gone on to college right then from high school w/o hassles instead waiting ten years..

• Quotes
    Quotes

Englishman is correct, is was not all audio.

But, in a manner that would make George Orwell (author of Nineteen Eighty-Four blush, the Watchtower changed it's history by eliminating all embarrasing 1975 references.

Note the lack of 1975 references in the Official WT index entry for 1975. The few (very few) that mention the 1975 debacle w.r.t. date setting are apologist-style articles from the 1990s.

It's as if the truly damning Watchtower articles, and indeed the now-forgotten book Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God never existed.

And JWs researching the 1975 fiasco using WT Society tools will NEVER find the truth about what was published. That is why we have to get the word out! ;)

• Perry
    Perry

As a third son, chronically silly and a little mischevious, I never believed that I would live to my 13th birthday in 1976. It was a hellava way to grow up.

I remember thinking at each birthday how many years I had yet to live. It was utterly abusive to children who were convinced they were never good enough.

Definitely hated it.

• undercover
    undercover
    ...if the WBTS didn't specify the date officially, how come we ALL know that date, all of us who lived through time? Mention 1975 to any JW who was alive and a JW then, they know the date.

Excellent thought.

Those who weren't there, whether not born yet or not a JW yet, will never really understand. Yea, the WTS was coy in print about the date, but for 5 meetings a week, 2-3 assemblies a year and CO visits that constantly drummed into our heads that 1975 was right around the corner and that it was a most significant date, and that it "might", "could" or "possibly" (and sometimes "would") bring Armageddon, we accepted it. After all this info was coming from the FD&S, how could they be wrong?

Outside of the non-event of Armageddon, what was so special about 1975 anyway? Take away the hype of the end of the world and what do you have left? Nothing. At least the WTS got lucky in 1914. A major war broke out the same year they said Armageddon was coming. They were able to milk that up to today even. But 1975? Nothing. Now 1975 is just a footnote in WTS history (a footnote that they hope most people miss).

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Blondie,you do awesome research we are kindred spirits.Pre-1975 Bible studies were limited to 6 months duration.Bee baptized in 6 months or bee gone.

http://www.freeminds.org/media/fredfranz75an.html Audio hear top, Watchtower leader "flunky" freddy franz,saying that the world will end in 1975.. I WAS THERE MATES!

Mr franz's,popular catchphrase,regarding the 1 billion children murdered by the god of the Watchtower: "...well,little nits grow up to be big nits..."

I can vividly remember my surroundings in 1967, where i was::: ( age 10, in the men's room shitting bloody diarrhea from ulcerative colitis)when i first heard the 'prophecy'..I also remember my exact time/place when i heard President Kennedy was shot.....

Spring 1976 a Bethel speaker spoke at the Tampa Florida civic hall he joked," . Armageddon ain't a coming sooo,i'am a getting outa here.."

Followed by his exortation,"One look at world conditions,and see for yourselves this worlds end is at hand.."[ hmmmmm,i've never heard that one before]

Danny sez; armageddon-ain't-a-cuming-soo-i'am-a-getten-outa-here- Arm-a-gonna-get-it-ON..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit