MA paper's lame JW interview

by willyloman 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• willyloman
    willyloman

This appeared in a Massachusetts newspaper:

Jehovah's Witnesses - who are they? By Joel Beck with information from www.jw-media.org
    Friday, May 14, 2004

There really is no difference between Jehovah's Witnesses and the rest of the people of the world. That's the first misconception Carl Mackay would like to clear up right away.

"We experience sickness, pain and suffering just like everyone else," says Mackay, an elder at the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall in Lynn. "The one difference is that we know it's not always going to be this way. We know that God is going to put an end to that very soon."

That may be true, but the true distinction between Jehovah's Witnesses and other religions has less to do with their belief systems and more to do with they way they apply those beliefs to everyday life. [There's more, see link below]

http://www.townonline.com/lynnfield/news/local_regional/nss_feansjehovahsideb05142004.htm

• willyloman
    willyloman

And here's the other story, in the same newspaper, which is a lot harder-hitting...or at least more balanced:

http://www.townonline.com/lynnfield/news/local_regional/nss_feansjehovah05142004.htm

Witness protection By Joel Beck Friday, May 14, 2004

Nothing puts people on edge quite like a stranger at their doorstep. So why do the Jehovah's Witnesses insist on the door-to-door ministry? Because the law says they can - and yes, God told them to.

It takes just a few minutes of polite conversation with a Jehovah's Witness to arrive at a rather baffling question: Why are people always calling the cops on these nice folks?

When it comes to shady characters lurking in the neighborhood, the neatly pressed suits and sunny dispositions of the Jehovah's Witnesses don't exactly evoke widespread terror. Moreover, the religious literature they're famous for peddling - with Utopian-like illustrations of a nothing-but-smiles populace - may be vaguely creepy in a "Stepford Wives" kind of way, but there's nothing about the Jehovah's Witnesses' practices that screams "better call 911."

But people do. All the time.

"With the way the crime rate is today, you can understand how people are a little afraid when they see strangers," admits Carl Mackay, an elder with the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall in Lynn. "I can understand how people feel because I might feel the same way if a stranger came to my house."

Such was the case in Topsfield just last month when police received a call about a suspicious vehicle turning in and out of neighborhood driveways and strangers knocking on doors. After determining that they were in fact Jehovah's Witnesses, the responding officer suggested that it would be in the ministers' best interests to register with the Topsfield police department before engaging in their door-to-door activity.

But as Topsfield Police Chief Dan O'Shea soon learned after receiving a letter from the legal department at the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society - the New York-based parent organization of the Jehovah's Witnesses - a 2001 Supreme Court ruling upheld the Witnesses' constitutional right to continue with their public ministry without having to obtain a permit (see adjacent story).

People can call the police all they want, but the bottom line is that the Jehovah's Witnesses have the right to deliver the word of God directly to your doorstep. Like it or not.

"It creates a little bit of a Catch-22 for us," says Chief O'Shea. "In this day and age, a lot of people are leery of anybody coming door to door. And not just in Topsfield. It creates the same quandary everywhere."

Proselytizing as Jehovah's Witnesses' cause may be, O'Shea speaks for hefty portion of the population when he says the Jehovah's Witnesses' aren't always welcome at every household.

Put aside, for a moment, the people who call the police when they see them coming. What should be even more alarming for the Jehovah's Witnesses are the number of folks who simply cringe, roll their eyes or lock their doors at the mere sight of them.

No one ever said spreading God's word would be easy. But doing so at the private homes of total strangers borders on the impossible.

"Most people are not resentful toward them, but they do kind of joke when they say 'oh yeah, here come the Jehovah's Witnesses,'" says former Topsfield Board of Selectman chairman Joe Iarocci, who sent a letter of apology to the Watchtower Society after the police incident.

[There's more, see link above]

E-mail reporter Joel Beck at [email protected].

• amac
    amac

I knew a JW named Joel Beck, wonder if that's him...

• Swan
    Swan
    So why bother? You might think they'd get tired of having doors slammed on their face and explaining to police that they're not stalkers. But judging by the 6.5 million Jehovah's Witnesses practicing worldwide - making it one of the fastest growing religions in the world - it's clear that they're having some success in delivering their religious message.

So how did they reach this conclusion? Is it really growing? It may be clear to the author; it's not clear to me.

Tammy

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I am going to be about 20 minutes north of Topsfield at the end of June. I might just have to stop by the newspaper and offer an interview on this topic. The Board of Selectmen might get a visit as well.

BWAHAHA ahem ... sorry

Uzzah - who is actually quite serious about doing the above.

• Corvin
  • Poztate
    Poztate
    With the way the crime rate is today, you can understand how people are a little afraid when they see strangers," admits Carl Mackay, an elder with the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall in Lynn. "I can understand how people feel because I might feel the same way if a stranger came to my house."

A stranger comes to my door....He says he is a JW. How the hell do we know if that is true or not. He might have just picked up some mags at the local laundromat,put on a suit and tie and is now busy casing the place to do a break and enter later.

They say they have their rights. In fact they insist on their rights to go door to door and bug the s**t out of people.The do not wish to be responsible citizens.We can't stop them from going and bugging people at their homes but why on earth don't they have to show proper identification. Many organizations that come to your door for various reasons (charities) will have a badge or photo ID. The typical JW can show or provide nothing. Since they go to doors on a regular basis this at least can and should be changed.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Hey Poz:

That is exactly one of the points I am going to be making to the paper. The Town may not be able to force the JW's to register but if the population refuses to open the door to anyone not showing proper credentials, (photo ID identifying them as JW's authorized by the Town) it'll force the JW's to re-think it.

SO the Town will offer to provide such ID (for a fee) for anyone wishing to engage in door to door solicitation. No exceptions. It is not mandatory but Town residents are encouraged to demand it from anyone coming to their door, otherwise it may not be safe to open the door at all.

Anyone with a criminal record cannot receive a Town issued ID. (At least this will help towards keeping convicted pedophiles away from door to door sales).

This is just one suggestion I will be making. If any others have suggestions (Enhanced DO NOT CALL registry, educating townspeople as to what constitute trespass and harrassment - continuing to come to my door after my expressly forbidding it, etc., providing a pre-printed trespass notice that can be circulated, the 'householder' fills out the personal info, name address and it can be 'served' on the next Witness that calls)

So I am interested in hearing your ideas!

Uzzah

• little witch
    little witch

Earlier this week, Mini posted this:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/71515/1.ashx

That answers alot of my questions! Earnest was correct.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    SO the Town will offer to provide such ID (for a fee) for anyone wishing to engage in door to door solicitation. No exceptions

The first problem would be about a fee.They would yip and whine and complain that the "TRUTH' should not be held back with something so degrading as attaching a price to it.They naturally will forget about all the years when they peddled their C**P with the price in the inside cover.

Next they would refuse because this is SATAN'S WAY of getting all their names and addresses so when the "PERSECUTION COMES" they will know where to hunt us down and kill us.

The problem is that at the local govt level the WT is bigger and tougher than local govt so they will win in most cases.

The next problem is that they are just a piddly assed nothing religion in the minds of federal powers so nothing gets done at that level either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit