How to use nature to reduce stress, anxiety, and loneliness

by Sunnygal41 20 Replies latest members private

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Purza, welcome to the forum!! Hope you are enjoying yourself here! Yes, everything seems to improve tremendously doesn't it when we leave that restrictive religion?

Hugs,

Terri

• little witch
    little witch

I just wanted to add a few more thoughts on this subject for city dwellers. One of the best kept secrets are national forests. They are pretty much wild and untampered with, free of charge, and a real treasure to the citizens.

Also, you can add dramatic natural elements to your home, even a small apartment. Here are some ideas;

Small rock and water fountains either make yourself or purchase for less than twenty dollars (the sound of the water is very theraputic)

Beautiful stones placed in a pretty vase or bowl

Aquariums

Terreriums (very easy to keep up)

forced bulbs

wreaths made from vines to hang up

Using an iron and wax paper, press leaves or flowers and put into a beautiful frame.

Homemade potpouri from dried herbs flowers pine cones

If you have a cat, grow some grass in a pot, he will love it!

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

great ideas little witch

a wind chime or two outside a window is another idea

• shotgun
    shotgun

Danny...great picture

I pictured myself swimming naked in that cool water but I didn't see the snapping turtle until it was too late.

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Wile_E_Coyote/ltwc_004.wav

Can you place a sign by the lake and take another picture which includes the sign(Beware of turtles).

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Stay Active...that works for me.....

I can also honestly say, that my lonliness has diminished since being away...but bouts of depression still linger...I used to get bad headaches...my doctor put me on an anti-depressant which worked well, she asked if I wanted to go up a dose, and I said no, I prefer to try a more natural approach....I run and bike a lot....it clears your mind and produces a great endorphine rush...there's no drug like it.

I used to hike a lot when I lived in Arizona, now living in the windy city I run along the lake or bike in a forest preserve with friends :)

• little witch
    little witch

Moonwillow,

Oh yes! Windchimes are wonderful also. My favorite windchimes are somewhat more expensive, but they are "tuned". So lovely.

Light catchers in your windows are nice too, especially the ones made of crystal that bounce and seperate light.

Eve,

Yes indeed, activity is soo important to invigoration. I am considering "power walking" myself!

Oh, I alsmost forgot.....birds are everywhere! Feed them, and you will have the best entertainment!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    If you have a cat, grow some grass in a pot,

LW, can I grow some for myself????

Shotgun: as usual, I'm laughing my ass off and almost choked on my coffee! (picture Terri spewing warm liquid all over the computer screen! ewwww~!)

• Special K
    Special K

I used to find fishing relaxing when I was younger.

Except when I caught an eel. Those are some hard to get off your hook slithering around.

We of course would eat the trout we caught and release the ones too small back into the water.. at least that is how I remember it.(watch shotgun come in with another version or sumpin')

I find watching the bald eagles playing in the wind blowing over the ridge very relaxing... as well as all the wildlife that I see just from sitting on my deck.deer, coyotes (once in a while) fox, ground hog, porcupine, ..cows.

Haven't had my birdfeeders up for awhile. A squirrel found the feeders last fall, which was cute until our Westie dog.. spyed the squirrel.. she would go beserk after the squirrel. The little rodent runner-downer. She never did catch the squirrel.

That was very entertaining until the dog would see the squirrel at the feeder at 5 oclock in the morning and would go crazy barking etc and wake up the whole household so I took the feeders down.

Maybe your thread has sparked me sunnygal. I miss the birds at the feeder. I'm going to go right now and put them back up.. See what happens.

I have a bird book for my area of the world and whenever I see a bird I have never seen I always write the date and where I saw it beside the picture in the book.

thanks..

Special K

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Would you mind changing the reds and yellows in your post to greens and browns?

Good post, and easy to forget when things are fast paced. Nice ideas to put "nature by proxy" into our lives even when we can't be out there.

• little witch
    little witch

Sunny,

On growing "grass in a pot" LOL I knew that would not escape un noticed!

Share and share alike! Although, with this caveat....

My husband is a maitenence man for a large student community.... one of the m.m. went in a young mans apartment to find some 'grass

growing...The SOB called the cops! Twas only one plant too....I thought that was cruel and wrong myself....He was arrested and booted out of the complex.....sigh....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit