Did you ever actually make a JW convert from the door-to-door work?

by True North 34 Replies latest jw friends

• maxwell
    maxwell

Fortunately, I never converted anyone and only had two studies in my time as a JW. Both my parents had at least one study that eventually got baptized. However, one was disfellowshipped the last I heard.

• TonyT
    TonyT

No and its been one of my most unregretable failures.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Yes, I can "proudly" claim several, and Dave did too. Princess had one too.

• Mulan
    Mulan

sorry, double post

• True North
    True North

If someone spends twenty or thirty years in the door-to-door work without ever making a convert, then maybe that wasn't a very good use of their time. Perhaps their time would have been better spent in other ways that were more in tune with their personalities, natural gifts, and abilities. If they had spent that time helping the aged, infirm, or poor, maybe the love shown would have helped to make the JW congregations happier places to be, which in turn would give a powerful informal "witness" to those on the outside. This puts me in mind of Ephesians 4:11, which says "And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers..." Maybe that applies here?

• Undaunted Danny
  • Evesapple
    Evesapple

I pioneered for atleast 2 years after graduation....and aux pioneered most of my summer vacations during h.s.....I had atleast 3 great studies, but none of them progressed to the point of conversion.....thankfully.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Yes . About 7 "bible studies" I began when I was a pioneer and were continued by others when I moved.

Not so much in terms of "productivity", but heartbreaking enough...

When I was df'd I tried to contact each one of them. This time however the doors were quickly closed.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Nope. I turned all my "interested" return visits over to other people. I was constantly being lectured by brothers about being "careful" about the motives of interested men, seeing as I was "so attractive"(their words, not mine). So I turned them all over to brothers. And since I was working full time and raising a family, I turned the interested women over to pioneer sisters (there was not a whole lot of interest in our rural territory, so they were glad to have the calls).

The worst thing I ever did was cause an elderly lady to truly doubt her faith. She was very upset and confused, and said "I've believed this all my life, now what am I going to do?" I felt really bad. She was so happy with her faith, and so sure of it, til I showed up on her doorstep univited and "reasoned" with her.Here she was, facing death everyday, looking forward to her reward, and I had to go and show her the scriptures in her own Bible that said she wasn't going to meet her Lord right away. I was truly humbled, and lost all of my zeal for the door-to-door work after that, even though I continued to go throug the motions because I believed it was a requirement

• proplog2
    proplog2

About 10 people. Two of them are no longer witnesses. Of the 10 the 2 who fell away are good friends. One of the people I studied with became a gilead missionary. 4 became elders. 2 were "need greaters" (I really hate that term. GAG).

I never became an Elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit