Heeeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaack...

by Jim_TX 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well, as most know... last week I was in Italy... Texas (I just LOVE the effect that has on some... *grin*).

I got there on Monday around 6pm - past their office closing time, but decided to swing by the main office anyway to check out the domes there. When I drove up, there was already a new dome on-site, and the work crew were rolling up hoses, and pretty much shutting down for the evening. My heart sunk! I was beginning to mentally panic... figuring that I had missed out on the actual build. I drove on down the drive to the visitors' center... which had been moved into the newest dome on the property (It's a 20-foot diameter dome) - I had seen it last fall - when they had first put it up - and started the framing inside. Now it was finished, and they had moved the visitor's center from next door - where it used to be. The dome next door was being rented out to someone (It's a 24-foot diameter dome).

Anyway, I was still mentally trying to figure out what I would do... as I was still thinking that I 'missed class' somehow. I drove on back to the first dome I passed on the way in, and sat in the car. A man who was the 'supervisor' of the crew waved at me... to come on over. So, I got out of my car and walked up the concrete drive. His name was Javier, and we talked briefly. He asked me if I was there for the class - I replied 'Yes'. He said that this was the dome that we would be completing. It turns out that all he had done was to pour the foundation and inflate the dome in preparation for the week-long class. *Instant relief!*

I nervously laughed and told him that I was thinking I had missed the week of class somehow. He nodded, 'No', and said that we would be working on it in the next few days.

Well... from Tuesday through Saturday, class started 8am - sharp! - and lasted through to about 5pm. After that, they fed us a light supper, and we had films, or slides or talks to about 7pm.

Tuesday... the very first day - we sprayed the polyurethane foam on the inside of the dome. That was cool! It set up pretty fast... almost instantly - and we got about 2 to 3 inches of foam up.

Rebar hangars were stabbed into the polyurethane foam after about 1-1/2-inches, and after the last coating of foam, we hung the rebar inside the dome. I pretty much helped cut the rebar, while the others placed it and tied it.

The last couple of days (I lost track of which days we did what), were spend spraying the shotcrete... hmmm... let's see... Thursday... Friday... and yes, Saturday.

We also had a 'graduation' ceremony where they handed us our certificates of completion.

All in all... I had a blast... learned a lot... mostly observed... but did get to spray the foam and shotcrete...

Oh... and yes... I am still planning to build a dome. All of the work involved - it's STILL worth it.

I now have documents and booklets to read and study. Lots more information to digest.

Regards,

Jim TX

• little witch
    little witch

Wow!

I am so happy for you James. I know how much you want a dome home (hey I am a poet) LOL

That you have this goal, and pursue it is very admirable. I am so excited for you!!!

The property you have planned is lovely. Someday soon I know you will be posting pictures of you in your dream home!

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hey Jim TX

Did you take any pictures?

CyrusThePersian

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Hi Jim. I wondered where you'd been! I've missed ya. How's the kittys????

Good luck on your plans.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Yes, I took photos... but not digital ones.

If you are interested in seeing examples of dome homes, you can meander on over to their web site at...

http://www.monolithicdome.com/

The monolithic dome, I feel - is the home of the future. It is built to last for over a century.

April!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How the heck are ya?

Kato is doing great! He missed me tremendously whilst I was away - and is now outside exploring.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Sassy
    Sassy

That's cool Jim... I loved hearing all about it when we talked in Chat too! When do you build one for you??

• outnfree
    outnfree

Welcome Back, Jim!

I did mosey on over to that site before you left and found the floor plans very interesting. Looking at floor plans is a weird sort of hobby(?) of mine, I guess. I'm glad you enjoyed your "vacation" and are full of enthusiasm for your own build.

outnfree

• Valis
    Valis

Awesome Jim! Knew you have had this on your mind for a good long while!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• a wee scots lass
    a wee scots lass

Jim,

That looks fantastic - just what I need for the scottish weather!

L

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit