A Share your recipe thread!

by Stefanie 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Ok, I am getting tired of the stuff I am fixin. And I am hungry now sooo.

Any recipes???? I dont care if its as simple as mixing a can of beans with a can of wolf. I need some new material.

• Valis
    Valis

Couple recipes from my roomie's cookbook I like a lot..

J. Paul Getty?s Casserole

1 pound ground chuck

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped

12 ounces medium wide egg noodles, uncooked

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can tomato soup

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound American cheese cut in 1/4? cubes

1 small jar pimentos

1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas

Ripe olives for garnish

Sage

Brown meat in vegetable oil in large skillet. Drain excess fat. Push meat to one side and sauté onions until golden brown. Dump meat and onions in large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except olives. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sage. Turn into a casserole baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Garnish with ripe olives.

It is a good idea to double the recipe and keep some for the next day?s lunch. The original recipe feeds three or four people.

Goes well with crisp, hot French bread.

J. Paul Getty was at one time the richest man in the world and this was his favorite meal. He made his money from oil.

I got this recipe from The Denver Post when I was living in Colorado, but I have made considerable adaptations to it over the years. I won first place in the casserole division with it in the State Fair of Texas Food Contest in 1978. It has since become an all-time favorite. In Vinalhaven, people always make it to take to the families of those who have died.

Ray Witherspoon?s Drunk Beans

Fry 3-4 strips of bacon

Remove bacon and in its grease sauté 1½ lbs of ham steak chopped into ¼? cubes

Remove ham and then sauté 5-6 green onions, 1diced green bell pepper, and 2 cloves of minced garlic

Put everything in a greased bean pot, breaking up the bacon in small pieces

Add 2 cans red/kidney beans

Add 1 to 1 ½ cup heavy red wine (like a port)

Stir together

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Serve with crispy, hot French bread.

Ray was at El Centro for many years. Amy, David, Mother, and I used to go to Galveston and stay at his house. He still has a potholder that Amy wove for him hanging in the kitchen of the Galveston house. Ray made this for his friends on Labor Day, 1996, and I made it a week later. People love this recipe!

Jalapeno Black-Eye Pea Dip

½ cup butter

½ pound sharp cheddar cheese

3 16 oz. cans black-eye peas or equivalent of fresh cooked peas

½ cup chopped onion

4-6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped finely

1 teaspoon jalapeno juice

1 clove of garlic, minced

1 4 ounce can green chili peppers

Melt butter and cheese together over low heat

Process remaining ingredients in blender

Stir blended ingredients into cheese mix

Serve hot with crackers, chips, or crisp bread.

Good to cook in a crock pot and keep warm in crock pot

This is a recipe from Charlotte Black, a former El Centro student and then girlfriend of Travis and my friend, Rocky Raccoon, Pete Stilwell. We called him Rocky Raccoon because he was from the Black Hills of South Dakota. Pete and Charlotte brought it to the 1993 Sweet Baby James Day Celebration, on the 1 st of December. We always celebrated Sweet Baby James Day, which we derived from the James Taylor Song:

It was the First of December,

Covered with snow

So was the Turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston

On Sweet Baby James Day, we?d ?sit by the fire, thinking of women and glasses of beer,? knowing that we had ?10,000 miles yet to go.? We also used to call the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority (508-248-3907) to see if, indeed, the Turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston was covered with snow.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Valis, that cassarole sounds really good and easy to make. Thanks

• Sassy
    Sassy

I will bring you one in tomorrow Stephanie!

• SuperMommy
    SuperMommy

This is a very easy recipe and it is my favorite thing for dinner ...that I can make

4 boneless chicken breasts

8 stips of bacon

salt, pepper, sage

preheat to 350

season chicken with 2 parts salt, one part pepper and one part sage. Then wrapp two strips of bacon around each piece of chicken. Place in a lightly oiled pan and cook for 30 minutes. Serve with wild rice

YUMMY!

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Cool, SuperMommy. Thats sounds good and its really easy...

I have one .... Hit wings

2 Pgs chicken wings

1 bottle louisianna hot sauce

1 stick butter.

Deep fry the hot wings until done

Mix the hot sause and butter in a pan and melt.

Put the chicken in the sauce and let sit for 10 minutes, then bake for 20 minutes...@ 350

Dip in ranch sauce and celery sticks....

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK For some of the new folks who don't know

Last year a few of the posters here got together to create a JWD cookbook. The proceeds ($14.99 US) of the book go to support this board and help Simon with some of the expenses of running it. Occasionally at the top of the page you will see a banner ad that says Food at the Proper Time. That is the cookbook. If you click on the link when the banner is there it will take you to site site

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/cookbook.aspx

On the same page you will find details to obtain the second cookbook Food in Due Season. The second book is a bit smaller but it is a free download.

Both books have been formatted as pdf files and require Adobe Acrobat to open. Simon has kindly put the link on the same page for the free version of Acrobat Reader.

I think there are only two recipes that are repeated. All the others are wonderful and many people here have tried them and loved them.

So grab the free cookbook and buy one two

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I don't have any recipes to share at this very moment; I was just taken by the fact that Valis was the first one to reply to this particular thread.

I love it Valis! That's awesome.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Valis is an awesome cook from what I hear and contributed MANY recipes to book cookbooks. I'm just surprised he didn't mention the cookbooks

<<pinch>> Valis - wake up man

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I plan on sharing later when I actually have my recipes in front of me so I dont muck them up for you. But my favorite breakfast (usaully when hungover) is to mix Scrambled Eggs and Spinach together, cut up tomato, grate cheddar cheese, add garlic, parsley, and parmesan cheese and if you have any pieces of chicken. Mix it all up.

That's my favorite thing. Sometimes you can add potatos. Guranteed to cure a hangover and add 4 pounds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit