A Review By Carl Jonsson Of Rolf Furuli'sBook On Chronology.

by hillary_step 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

btt

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Marjorie,

Welcome back to the Board and many thanks for your mail!

Thank you for your review of Furuli's book. My own impression was that though the book accurately tries to explain the views of Furuli, and by default the WTS, it does seem to have been rushed to the publishers.Considering the tremendous work load that the WTS puts upon its adherents, all designed to suck the initiative and hamper the independent thinking process, I am amazed he found time for Volume I this side of his tombstone.

I expect that Scholar is reading this, but I suspect that after the grilling he received at your hands in your last encounter, he may take a spectators seat on this one. If he has any sense, that is exactly what he will do.

Once again, many thanks for you post and mail and I am looking forward very much to your future chronological contributions.

Best regards - HS

• Alleymom
    Alleymom
    I am amazed he found time for Volume I this side of his tombstone.

I've seen some of his posts on the Biblical Greek list, and it's apparent that he's spent a lot of time researching the Hebrew verbal system (as I recall, in his posts he was drawing comparisons between certain aspects of the Greek and Hebrew verbal systems). To become competent in a field of study like that requires an enormous amount of time, and to do research for a doctoral thesis requires even more. Now that you remind me of his additional burden of WT duties, I do wonder that he found time to work on the chronology book at all. So it's not surprising that the book shows signs of sloppy editing and proofing (but if it were me, I wouldn't have let it go to press like that).

I'm not sure if I have anything much to contribute to the board at the moment. I'm slowly working my way through an Akkadian grammar and a cuneiform workbook. I still hope to publish some day, but the last year has been rough, with personal matters taking most of my time.

I did return to my old favorite, the Religion forum on Compuserve, for several spirited threads in the last 6 weeks.

Are there any great threads on the board here that you would suggest I take a look at?

Regards,

Marjorie

• AlanF
    AlanF

Marjorie, you're a friggin' nerd.

AlanF

• Alleymom
    Alleymom
    Marjorie, you're a friggin' nerd.

Hey there, Alan!

Coming from you, I take that as a compliment! How are things?

Marjorie

• ros
    ros

"Scholar":

I posed a question to you on another board, which you ignored. I'll pose it again.

You tout educational credentials with great confidence. My question to you was about one of Furuli's own countrymen who is a former JW and has somewhat the same educational credentials that you claim.

How do you regard the religious perspective of former poster on this site known as JH (or JanH), a Norwegian (as is Furuli) who has a masters in degree in religious studies.

Just curious.

~Ros

• AlanF
    AlanF

Ros, you should know better! Morons don't understand such hard questions.

AlanF

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Are there any great threads on the board here that you would suggest I take a look at?

: Regards,

: Marjorie

Alas, they are few and far between these days. Dubs just don't debate anymore like they did even three or four years ago. Those who did and stayed through all the debates, are now EX-dubs and many still post on this board as EX-dubs.

Many dubs in good standing lurk here though, and those who do know they don't stand a chance if they publicly tried to defend their faith on this or any other forum which has informed people who participate. We know more about the WT religion than probably 99% of all Jehovah's Witnesses. I left that religion over thirty years ago and STILL know more about it than 99% of Jehovah's Witnesses.

"Informed people" are the Watchtower Society's worst nightmare. Even the WTS has sent in a few ringers to debate here and on the old H20. They got thrashed by FACTS. Ouch! FACTS HURT cults!

Dubs don't want to play in here where the playing field is not skewed in their favor, like it is at the average door they bang on in field service. That makes them cowards. All religious bullies are cowards.

Farkel

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hey there Alleymom! Welcome back And Gamaliel, you too!

I haven't read Furuli's book, nor do I intend to. Odd, that after so many decades of being preoccupied with chronology (or, at least, the WTS version of such ), that I now find myself consummately disinterested in the subject...and why I find complete satisfaction in just sitting back and watching experts like you and AlanF and HS (cynicus and CityFan ain't bad either [I'm sure I left out some names...just what comes to the top right now]) surgically disembowel JW apologists like "scholar," and Furuli.

One might call me sadistic...I dunno.

Craig

• onacruse
    onacruse

Fark:

Alas, they are few and far between these days. Dubs just don't debate anymore like they did even three or four years ago. Those who did and stayed through all the debates, are now EX-dubs and many still post on this board as EX-dubs.

See, like I said, I forgot a name, or ten, or a hundred! And others, like ros, are "before my time"...really, I'd be vastly overestimating my awareness of the exJW db experience if I ventured to say that I even knew about 1% of it.

Which goes to the point of your post, Doug. So much has been done, so many (can we even count them???) frail pro-JW arguments have been laid waste and atomically blasted...it certainly does appear that the number of JWs who have the foolhardiness to venture into an honest discussion with the likes of you and so many others is rapidly diminishing.

So much the better, maybe? Perhaps "phase 2" is developing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit