What religious groups do the jws draw most converts from?

by badboy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    i think it's more like depressed lonely single people.

I agree, that was the case with me. I don't think the JWs make too many converts any more. The last time I saw someone get baptized that wasn't raised in the cult was about 9 years ago.

Walter

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I'd have to agree with the Catholic thing. Most of the Witnesses largest increases appear to be in latin america, predominately Catholic (Brazil and Mexico) We did have one former Mormon and SDA in our old congregation as well, but I think that was just a fluke!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    i think it's more like depressed lonely single people.

Yep, that would've been me. Raised Catholic to boot.

I think there is a lot of social isolation in our society. High-commitment, high-control religions like JW's have a bright future, so long as there are plenty of people who are not critical thinkers and/or have a difficult time establishing a social life for themselves outside of a totalistic organization.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I read somewhere that they can usually only convert someone with a Christian background to be a JW, that it's much more difficult to convert a non-Christian.

IAGN of the stating the obvious class

• Quotes
    Quotes

Not meaning to hijack the thread here, but I wonder: WHAT CHARACTERISTIC IS COMMON TO EX-JWs????

What is it about us that allowed us to break the bonds of religious oppression?

After all, we were all in once, and some of us have friends that remained in despite knowing the same "dirt" we know. So why are we out and they are still in???

(And no, to you JW lurkers, SATAN is not an acceptable answer).

• IT Support
    IT Support
    I'd have to agree with the Catholic thing. Most of the Witnesses largest increases appear to be in latin america, predominately Catholic (Brazil and Mexico)

I also agree that most JW converts are ex-Catholic.

I think this is because those who remain Catholics (i.e. not those free-thinking rebels who leave the religion in their teens) are used to, and not uncomfortable with, a high-control, high-commitment religion, so the transition to JW is not as difficult as for Protestants. It may be an unfait comment, but I suspect Catholics are not taught--in respect to their religion anyway--to question authority or to think for themselves, but simply to accept everything they are told.

Thus, in my experience, most 'good' Catholcs are also very 'nice,' humble, honest-hearted people. This makes them ideal fodder for the JW recruiters.

Regards,

Ken

• justhuman
    justhuman

ALL GROUPS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit