Christians CAN eat blood.

by proplog2 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• proplog2
    proplog2

There is no need to address ALL the knotty pharasaical arguments used by the Watchtower to defend their blood policy.

Mark got the point Jesus was making in the 7th chapter of Mark.

"Thus he declared all foods clean"

Mark 7:18

So he said to them: "Are you also without perception like them? Are you not aware that NOTHING (that includes blood) from outside that passes into a man can defile him, since it passes, not into his heart, but into his intestines, and it passes out into the sewer? Thus he declared all foods clean."

The new covenant supercedes any other covenant - including the Noachian covenant.

If they want to say that transfusions are "eating" - let them. You can eat blood, you can transfuse blood, you can use it for whatever. The Mosaic Law is finished. Just don't flaunt it in front of someone you know has a weak conscience.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    Just don't flaunt it in front of someone you know has a weak conscience.

i love that saying

• El blanko
    El blanko
    NOTHING (that includes blood) from outside that passes into a man can defile him

I think one still has to use common sense - obviously! Some things do actually harm us. I think the obvious deeper lesson was the focus upon the heart condition of man. The statement was made really to condemn those who judge a man on what he eats alone or how fastidious his cleansing rituals are.

The blood issue is not solved so easily for some, as they see it as a matter of spiritual symbolism ... you knew that already though

Good thought though and certainly an interesting scripture.

• El blanko
    El blanko

flippin' eck run dont walk talk about a resurrection of the dead !! That thread I have just noticed is from 2001 ... doh!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Mark 7:18

So he said to them: "Are you also without perception like them? Are you not aware that NOTHING (that includes blood) from outside that passes into a man can defile him, since it passes, not into his heart, but into his intestines, and it passes out into the sewer? Thus he declared all foods clean."

Of course, the WT will rationalize that this scripture in the case of blood transfusions because the blood specifically does go "into the heart" and not one's "intestines".....

• proplog2
    proplog2

Leoaia:

Thanks for pointing that out. The policy should then be you can eat blood but you can't transfuse blood. Of course this means they will have to bring back that great idea that when the Bible speaks about the heart it IS the literal heart that beats in your chest not some "symbolic" heart.

• proplog2
    proplog2

El Blanko:

Mark understood Jesus' words to mean that the dietary restrictions are finished. Some might argue that blood wasn't considered food by the Israelites. That would be easy almost obvious to refute. But never underestimate the twists and turns people can go through to defend doctrines that are central to their faith.

Why don't JW's include feet washing as part of the memorial celebration since Jesus commanded (not suggested) his disciples to do that. The Watchtower would say "Oh, that was a symbolic act!". They would ignore the fact that the whole "memorial" is a symbolic act.

My point is that the scripture at Mark is a clear contradiction of the way they interpret Acts 15. Let the scriptures battle it out.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Why don't JW's include feet washing as part of the memorial celebration since Jesus commanded (not suggested) his disciples to do that. The Watchtower would say "Oh, that was a symbolic act!". They would ignore the fact that the whole "memorial" is a symbolic act.

An interesting point. Why do the Dubs condone even the symbolic consumption of blood? After all, Jesus said of the wine "Drink from it, all of you. For this is my blood..." (Matt 26:27-28)

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

I also love these Scriptures:

Matthew 23: 16-22: "Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'Whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple, he is obliged to perform it.' Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold? And, 'Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gift that is on it, he is obliged to perform it.' Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gift? Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by all things on it. He who swears by the temple, swears by it and by Him who dwells in it. And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who sits on it.

Apply that to blood!

• Corvin
    Corvin
    If they want to say that transfusions are "eating" - let them. You can eat blood, you can transfuse blood, you can use it for whatever. The Mosaic Law is finished.

Prop or anyone: I am not challenging you, however, while it is true the old Mosaic Law is finished, what is a Christian to make of the Paul's admonition at Acts 15:19-21?

"19

Hence my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, 20 but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. 21 For from ancient times Moses has had in city after city those who preach him, because he is read aloud in the synagogues on every sabbath."

I think that argument might be a bit weak and might need something more in light of this Scripture. Anybody?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit