FORMER ELDERS CAN YOU PLEASE HELP??

by MZINDEPENDENT 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

The only way you can sue is if you can demonstrate that they have violated their own procedures, or if they hold you up to public ridicule. Given what you've said about the chain of events I'd say you don't have any legal avenue. Oh, and public ridicule is not simply announcing you've been disfellowshipped. As far as appealing goes, failure to meet would be considered a sign that you were not repentant.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

HI MZindependant,

First you must be careful what you post here, because even small clues may help the Society monitors to figure out who you are. The Society monitors the ex-JW boards.

I am writing to find out if anyone knows what happens after my elders contact the society and I want to also know if I have grounds for a lawsuit.

I am not sure what state or country you live in so its hard to have an idea of the applicable laws. Some of your terminology does not sound like the USA.

Normally its hard to sue a religion due to constitutional protections of separation between church and state. However, you need to talk to a lawyer in your area to get advice ... you may be able to go after them for slander and maybe violation of their own rules, thus discrimnating against you ... at least there is some precedant in some areas for doing this ... but, the best you can expect is to get a monetary settlement ... they will likely keep you shunned if you sue them.

If you decide to play by their rules because of your children and husband ... then never mention being on any Internet site associated with ex-JWs or even reportedly a JW site ... deny any associaion with ex-JWs, and swear loyalty to the Society above all else ... agree with all doctrines ... and promise to go door-to-door and to the meetings ...

The Elders are trained to detect any possible deviation in thought patterns ... so you need to think like a JW again in order to get reinstated. This will be most difficult to do, however, because you will have to compromise your self-worth and dignity.

On the other hand, suing them may bring some satisfaction and help you find new ties with your children and husband, who may begin to see the beast for what it is and themselves pull away from the organization ... that is what I did with my family ... I threatened suit, and they saw the beast come out to attack us ... that helped them make their own decisions.

So, give it some thought and hopefully you will find what your heart really wants.

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch

THEY CAN NOT DENY YOU THE RIGHT TO AN APPEAL!!!

You have however only 30 days to appeal. (if memory serves me correctly)

First you always have a right to be heard by an appeal committee. Secondly they can not disfellowship you unless they have at least invited you to a committee meeting and you failed to show up for that meeting. This is a must!!! They can not disfellowship you with out a meeting unless you refuse to attend that meeting and even after you miss the meeting they have to send you a registered letter. If you have any questions PM me.

JW for 35 years elder for 20 years

TowerWatch

• IT Support
    IT Support

Hi Mz I,

Welcome here, I was sorry to read your story.

Would you consider going to the newspapers--it's the sort of thing they love, human interest, unfair practices, etc?

JWs fear bad publicity and public mockery almost as much as lawsuits!

It would depend, of course, on whether you'd mind any details being made public.

Regards,

Ken

• justhuman
    justhuman

I will not help you

• MZINDEPENDENT
    MZINDEPENDENT

Towerwatch how do I PM you? Thanks so much for writing me.

MZIndependent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit