"Oh Europe's So Racially Tolerant"

by ColdRedRain 46 Replies latest social current

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1798765&partnersite=espn

Racist fans taunt, spit on American on Norwegian club

OSLO, Norway -- An American soccer player in Norway was subjected to racial taunts and spit on by fans during a game.

alt

Robbie Russel, who is black and was born in Amherst, Mass., plays for the Norwegian club Sogndal.

"I've experienced racism, but never anything like this," the 24-year-old player told the state radio network NRK.

He said four or five Brann fans on Sunday grabbed his jersey through the fence about 27 minutes into the game.

"A woman spit in my face," he said. "The entire time a group of supporters were yelling racist things at me."

Russel was not injured and declined to file a police complaint, choosing to let soccer organizations deal with the matter.

There was an outpouring of support for Russel and condemnation of his attackers in the national news media Monday.

The Bergen-based Brann club promised to identify the culprits using TV footage and threatened to permanently ban them from Brann events.

Russel supported such a move, saying "nothing entitles them to do that sort of thing to you."

"We condemn all forms of racism in Norwegian soccer," said Karen Espelund, secretary-general of the Norwegian Soccer Federation. "Such behavior goes against everything we stand for."

Russel joined Sogndal in May 2001, and the club beat Brann 3-1 for its first elite division victory of the season.

See? This is the Utopia of Europe. At least fans here would cheer on their black sports heroes on the field even though they might dislike their color.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

American's are now considered a "race?"

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I missed the part about his being black--now it makes sense. That's very bad.

• City Fan
    City Fan

This is the Premiership's best player:

alt

The player on the right below is my favourite player for my team:

alt

So I'm not sure what your comment means.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

You're not a bigot, good for you. That still doesn't erase the fact that Euros did what Americans haven't done in 40 years.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    You're not a bigot, good for you. That still doesn't erase the fact that Euros did what Americans haven't done in 40 years.

Really? Nobody on the entire continent of North America has shouted a racist slur at a sports event since 1964? I find that astonishing.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    Really? Nobody on the entire continent of North America has shouted a racist slur at a sports event since 1964? I find that astonishing.

Ok, not since 1964, but even then, it was rare to do that, and it was seen as bad taste and it was becomming a dying trend. If any American crowd ever did that, it would probably get sanctioned by their respective leauge.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    If any American crowd ever did that, it would probably get sanctioned by their respective leauge.

You mean like:

an outpouring of support for Russel and condemnation of his attackers in the national news media Monday.

The Bergen-based Brann club promised to identify the culprits using TV footage and threatened to permanently ban them from Brann events.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Sounds like it was just a handful of "fans"(?)

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

More like "Security officials quickly removed the hecklers from the crowd at Busch Stadium in Saint Louis, Mo. The team has apologized for the uncalled for racial slurs."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit