Oh catalytic converter, where art thou?

by Elsewhere 21 Replies latest jw friends

• techton
    techton

Else, you didn't ask me about this (your idea to gut your pre-cats) but we've come this far, so please allow me to throw my 2 cents in: I don't think it's a good idea..here's why...your Contour uses a Differential Pressure Feedback (DPF) EGR. Ford tests to see if the EGR is stuck open by checking the DPFE sensor at idle. The DPFE sensor tests for a differential in pressure (exhaust backpressure) across a restriction. As flow increases, DPFE voltage rises. Having exhaust backpressure is critical to the operation of this sensor. (Backpressure can be understood by using a funnel to pour oil into your engine. If you pour slowly enough, there is no backpressure.. the oil moves through the bottom of the funnel without backing up. However, if you pour faster, oil still flows, but also backs up, and rises in the funnel. Now you have "backpressure" at the bottom of the funnel because of the added weight of the volume of oil above the flow (at the bottom part). If you had a pressure sensor at the bottom, you would have a higher reading as oil is added). At idle, there is little or no backpressure in the exhaust. As RPM increases, backpressure begins to form (especially when accelerating and at cruise). On your Ford. this typically is 3 psi. (with an unaltered exhaust). If you alter the exhaust (the way you described), this would lower backpressure. The result: The DPFE sensor would send a false signal to the PCM (engine control computer), and fuel trim settings would not be accurate. After a short time of this, "rationality" kicks in. Rationality is the ability of the PCM to ignore a signal from a sensor if it is completely out of range in comparison with other input sensors. In other words, if the throttle position sensor reports throttle is partly engaged, and the MAP sensor says that manifold vacuum is low (a sure indicator of load) yet there is no backpressure, the computer will substitute a known good value. The problem is that this value will not vary, and the correct fuel trim cannot be maintained. In time, the long term fuel trim capability of the compute may max out. This may cause driveability and fuel consumption problems, which you may not have counted on. ................. Mike

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A bit of black duct tape over the warning light should fix it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit