What happened to me?

by boa 21 Replies latest jw friends

• boa
    boa

A few years ago....before I went to bethel....I was very troubled in mind and heart and quite fervently prayed to Jehovah asking for help.....I really really poured my heart out when all of a sudden.....

I went completely catatonic (I was lying down in bed on my back). I was still concious, but I felt like I was no longer a part of my body and in fact don't think I could've moved if I'd tried to.....It was very strange and I believe its only happened once since then (while during a heartfelt prayer)

Has this happened to any of you?

What happened to me?

boa.....

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

http://www.crystalhealing.co.nz/astral_travel.htm#Involuntary

Boa there is a term called Astral Travel, it may sound odd as an out of body experience, but it very similar to what you have described. Our minds are a very strong force. Through meditation it is possible sometimes to reach those catatonic levels. It's not very often, but one can train to be able to to this to themselves or to others. There is also what is known as involuntary astral travel, which sounds very close to what you decribe. I have experienced an astral travel only three time in my life, twice were voluntary and once wasnt.

chevy of the 'okay, go ahead and call me crazy now' class :)

• little witch
    little witch

I don't think you sound crazy at all. In fact it is a universal phenomonon that deep prayer or meditation brings this state of peaceful bliss. It is mentioned in most world religions.

There have been studies done (by scientists, not kooks of any sort) that show dramatic changes is the subjects vital signs and brain waves.

It must have been a rather beautiful experience!

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Very interesting.

WHAT HAPENS TO ME???

I have tried to achieve such states as you mention. Every time I end up falling asleep.

If I try praying, again if I do it long enough, I go to sleep.

I have wondered if God is offended, that I go to sleep in the middle of a prayer??

I am kinda wiered or is that weard??%^&. I guess.

Outoftheorg

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Boa

This is not a weird thing that you experienced.

I heard that it usually happens to people who sleep "left of center" in their beds. Those are the kind of people that usually experience this sort of things. hehe just kidding with ya.

It is alright to kid with you I hope. I don't want to offend..

Now you know I was just kiddin with ya from the which side of the bed thread. LOL

----------------

Seriously now

Boa..Have you ever went for a drive down a long highway and arrived at your destination and you can't remember large sections of highway that you drove through. I experience that sometimes and I was told it is sort of being in a trance like state on a minor scale to what you experienced and that almost everyone can relate to experiencing that.

I also had horrible nightmares at one time in my life and was taught the technique of "lucid dreaming" where you can go into your dream while still asleep and adjust the outcome of things or change its course. It's really took alot of time and practice to be able to do that but it sure worked for me.

The brain is capable of far more than we give it credit for.

I agree with the poster that it is like an out of body experience. I have these occur when I am at a hightened sense of awareness or feeling extremely traumatized and on high alert for too long. I feel that my mind then is working on a higher plain that even I am not aware of. Emotions and feelings from brain and also heart.

If I were you I would embrace these times and be happy about them. A hightened sense of awareness that doesn't happen every day. Nice.

sincerely

Special K

• little witch
    little witch

Out,

If you are stressed or upset at the beginning of prayer or meditation, and end up falling asleep......I think you experienced the peace!

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Thanks for the info. Little Witch.

It doesn't seem to be that way with me. Actually all my life with or without stress or anger or anything else. I will fall asleep.

At other times without prayers or meditation,"which is most of the time" I fall asleep verry quickly.

I have honestly tried the astral travel bit with tapes etc, and there I go again snorring away.

Outoftheorg

• little witch
    little witch

Out,

I see what you are saying now. Well, don't feel bad. I tried that too. (do you remember "out on a limb")? Shirley Mc Clain and all that.....

I too failed miserably...LOL

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Well Little Witch---LOL . When Shirley Mc Clain came into the picture and the book, I had an entirely different opinion of this.

She was too much of a wierdo ( in my opinion ) and trying these things made me feel like a fool.

I still wonder though, if there may be some thing to astral travel and out of body exp.

There are just so many things we can not explain in this area and with the brain and mind.

Outoftheorg

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Boa, was the experience a peaceful one?

My guess is without any interpretation and focus on the catatonic state it's just a spacious state of mind. I've had that experience just waking up in the middle of the night when I was a kid.

Altered states are interesting, but you can get caught up in them just like you do with religious beliefs. In fact, I've met people who have access to subtle states of consciousness who are still stuck with some beliefs, to me it's weird but it happens. So not only is there less suffering in abiding in the peace of spacious awareness, you are also in a position to see what all these other states are about too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit