Have JW relatives disinherited you? (especially Canadian)

by berrygerry 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If a sister wants the inheritance to go to her sister equally, it is better for her if she finds another way to void the will because just giving it to her sister is a taxable gift, So, the estate gets taxed, then the gift itself is again taxed (to the giver) and if enough, to the recipient. So, some other way, if done legally, so that the normal recipients (two daughters) would share the actual estate equally.

Just in the interests of taxes etc. (No, I'm not an accountant or lawyer, I have been involved in an estate in which a disinherited child figured into the picture-along with a wife who was illegally/unethically divorced, a live in GF who had helped the man in his last months(a verbal promise had been made) and 9 other kids(who had been gifted or not with parts of the estate at the last minute and whose claims were ?'d by court) and an ex wife that he tried to remarry right before his death so that she would get his SS benefits-yeah, it was a doozy). It was only $100,000 and really not worth the hassle.

• under the radar
    under the radar

3rdgen:  I totally agree that it is unloving, unfair, and bigoted to disinherit family members simply because they don't share the same religious beliefs.  My point was that it should not be illegal to do so.  To let the law step in and say what a person who is of sound mind can and cannot do with their money is a patently bad idea.

That said, older people can be easy targets if they are no longer of sound mind or are so dependent on others that they dare not resist any "suggestion" as to whom they should give or leave their money to.  Courts properly can and should review those cases to decide if there has been any undue influence or coercion.

I think the Society is definitely encouraging an alienation of affection of family members by their shunning, almost "no contact," policies.  They even discourage minimal contact, such as email.

I do not know this as a fact, but I have good reason to believe that the Society has certain representatives whose job it is to visit older, infirm ones to encourage them to leave their money to the Society instead of to "worldly" relatives who would just use the money for selfish, maybe immoral, purposes.  If this could be proven in a particular case, that would be a time for the Court to step in.

I know it's unfair and hurtful for people to be disinherited because of someone's bigoted and self-righteous opinions of their beliefs or non-beliefs.  But as long as they are of sound mind and not under undue influence when they make those decisions, I wouldn't want the law to interfere.  Would you want the law to tell you who you can or cannot leave your money to?

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

I have been out of the "Organization" for over 25 years.  I was DFd and, throughout that time, the only time I was contacted by my JW family was when they needed money.  'Cause Armageddon was around the corner and they failed to save money, make good investments, and plan for a future.  A couple of years ago, in light of all WT hate-speech, I took a stand and stated that they would receive nothing from me unless they wanted to maintain a relationship with me.  After that I did not hear from them again.  

I am in the process of updating my Will and Estate to ensure that, when I die, all my funds go to help social programs and, hopefully, make this world a better place.  "Rules must apply to everyone or they mean nothing" 

• hoser
    hoser

My inlaws have disinherited my wife because she won't do as they wish. Ffs she's a grown woman and can make her own choices.  

The good thing is that they told us while we are still young enough to plan for a decent retirement. In fact when the in laws told us they were giving it all to the wtbs it woke us up that we had to hussle and get educated and make better money. Now they complain that we work too much. 

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    "Unproductive Territory" = The people living there are too well-educated, successful, and happy to exploit.
  • StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    My apologies.  I posted the previous comment on the wrong thread...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit