Our IN-justice System

by MyKidsMom 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• MyKidsMom
    MyKidsMom

Having experienced the pain, heartache and inner torture that goes along with discovering my young son was sodomized multiple times by an elder in the congregation years ago, plus the added torture of my son then growing to teenage years to molest my youngest daughter, the knife in my heart continues to be twisted deep.

My teenage son, now 22, spent a few years in a juvenile detention school for his crime. HIS offender died years ago, and went unpunished by our so-called justice system. My son was paroled a year and a half ago and struggled to make a new life for himself. Jobs for S.O offenders are extremely difficult to come by in this society. From the recommendation of his Parole Officer, my son got a job working for a car ?dealership? (I use the term loosely), which also owned an apartment building (again the term Apartment is used loosely).

My son worked 60-80 hours each week and brought home a pay check amounting to no more than $25.00 most times. Why? Because this ?dealership? he worked for would take monies out of each check for rent, his car payment on the piece of crud car he got through them, AND for all the numerous repairs this ?car? had to have on a regular basis. Get this: If my son missed so much as an hour of work, he would automatically be fired; his car automatically repossessed and automatically evicted from his ?apartment?. The car he drove was in the shop more often then on the road, no exaggeration there. There was a noose around my son?s neck and it was being squeezed tighter and tighter as each day went by.

If my son missed an hour of work, he?d automatically be fired; which in turn, puts him in trouble with parole. If my son does not have an ?approved? place of residence, he?s in trouble with parole. If my son is too poor to pay his parole fees, he?s in trouble with parole. Either way you look at it, he?s always walking a tight-rope for his continued freedom. For him, it?s been a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don?t.

Well, his luck ran out last month. Over the 1½ years that my son has been trying to support himself while on parole , the stress of trying to follow all his obligations for parole, employment, S.O. counseling, and supporting himself financially began to affect his health. The apartment (I use the term loosely) is uninhabitable ; the pint-size gas stove gave off a strong gas smell whenever started, as well as sparking where it's not supposed to spark. The toilet would back up into the shower stall (there was NO tub ), making the shower and toilet unusable for weeks leading up to his present situation. The "apartment" is infested with roaches, mice, rats, etc. The apartment was inhumane .

My son became very ill; inability to afford food caused his appetite to virtually CEASE , s causing him to lose a lot of weight; his bowels stopped up, urinary track infection symptoms, ulcer symptoms, s evere exhaustion, long crying spells, etc. My husband and I were working on scheduling him to see a doctor or be put into the hospital . He was so ill that he was unable to go to work. He was immediately fired; his car was repossessed the same evening; He received a 3-day Eviction notice the next morning. He was told he would find his belongings in the street if he were not out of the apartment in three days.

My oldest daughter was visiting from out of state at the same time , so we went to see my son at his apartment to surprise him (He had no phone). We found him bent over , sobbing uncontrollably that he'd been fired, his car repossessed and he was holding his eviction notice. He hadn?t been able to eat or sleep and his coloring was gray.

Fearing for my son?s health and well being, we packed up my son's belongings and took him to my house, ONE DAY PRIOR TO THE WARRANT BEING ISSUED.

I personally tried to call my son?s Parole Officer on Monday, the day after we moved him into our home, but the P.O. was not in his office and did not answer his cell phone. I tried again on Tuesday with the same result: I did not think it proper to simply leave a message on his voicemail. On Wednesday, my son spoke with his P.O., who told my son to WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT MONDAY TO TURN HIMSELF IN BECAUSE HE WOULD BE OUT OF THE OFFICE THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK! My son did not run or hide; he was sick and at MY house being cared for! We were trying to help my son, and believed we were doing the right and only thing that would save my son. While my son slept, plans were being worked out to get him seen by doctors, find an approved apartment and move my son into a DECENT apartment within the required county. Through my husband?s business contacts, my son was lined up with a REAL job. But, when my son woke up, he went into a terrified panic attack, saying he needed to call his Parole Officer to tell him where he was, why, etc. Two days had elapsed when he called his P.O. The P.O. told him a warrant had been issued for him , and that he should turn himself in. We all explained to the P.O. the full extent of my son's situation, but the P.O. said my son should turn himself in.

The hearing was held Thursday, April 8, 2004. Present for the hearing was our lawyer, my son, my husband and I, the P.O. and the S.O. counselor and the Hearing Officer. NOT ONE person recommended Revocation, NOT ONE! My son?s S.O. Counselor testified that my son is ?NOT a threat or danger to society?, and that my son?s ?form of sexual offense: INCEST has a very low recidivism rate?. The Counselor also testified that he was encouraged because my son had developed a relationship with an adult female.

After hearing all the testimony, the Parole Officer AND the Parole Hearing Officer recommended leniency for my son. The Hearing Officer recommended the warrant be removed and my son be released with electronic monitoring. The Parole Officer recommended the warrant be removed and be released, or be sent to I.S.F. briefly.

The decision was made to REVOKE my son's parole !!! He is at this moment waiting to be transferred to prison because HE DIDN'T MAKE A PHONE CALL FAST ENOUGH !!! The Parole Officer told me personally that he has had numerous parolees with "serious violations" that were given a slap on the wrist and warning and were released. The Parole Officer has also APOLOGIZED to my son for having issued the warrant! But, MY son is going to prison?!!!

And to think, it?s called the JUSTICE System. Yeah, right.

• kls
    kls

I am so ,so sorry for you and your son. My son at 17 was tried for burglery but i am thankful only spent time in hubber / halfway house, with probation for five years. The first parol officer was a great lady but then she was transfered and my son had this moron that thought he was the gate keeper. It was a long five years, but your story is very different and heart breaking. I can.t imagine your son having to pay repay for something that is over and done with ,i can't imagine loosing a son all over again.

• kls
    kls

I forgot Mykidsmom,,,,,,,Welcome to the forum

• kls
    kls

bttt

• talesin
    talesin

This is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. I can only offer my heartfelt empathy for you and your family. Yes, the 'justice system' (hahaha) is not much better here in Canada, especially for the POOR and those who don't know how to WORK IT. grrrrrrrr

Welcome, MyKidsMom, we're glad you came here for support.

talesin

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Well, my heart is completely broken now.

I'm so SO sorry MyKidsMom.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Welcome MKM....

There's a lot of injustice in our justice system. Your son obviously got the short end of the stick. Have you talked with a lawyer. It sounds like many facts are not being considered or heard. I think you can make a motion for a hearing by another judge. Present the facts as you outlined in your post. Get the P.O. to sign an affidavit that he was negligent. I'd check it out with attorney. What state or area of the country do you live in?

• MyKidsMom
    MyKidsMom

DoubleEdge, I agree that there is much that was not considered. I can't help but wonder if perhaps there are days when the decision maker(s) have had a pissy day and simply revoke one person after another without even reviewing the evidence and circumstances. Don't they realize these are people's lives?!

It was devastating to learn that my son's parole had been revoked. We knew it was a possibility, but with all the circumstances and evidence, we simply could not allow ourselves to think it would/could happen. After one week, I had the druthers to begin barraging officials in this state with faxes and letters regarding my son's case. We had a lawyer representing my son at the hearing, but I've yet to see a neon sign across a lawyer's head saying if they are competent or not. My husband has spoken with a well-known lawyer in this state, and even he said that there isn't much that can be done once the parole board has made the decision to revoke. So..., the parole board's revocation decision cannot be revoked? What lesson is to be learned from sending my son to prison? Don't get sick ever again? Don't take the advice of your parole officer and get a job where recommended, so you'd have an apartment and a job and a car?

I know I'm rambling, but this is simply too much. This is way over the top. If it is true that there is no way, or no one, who can or would consider overriding this decision then..., NO I cannot accept that my son will spend ? years sitting in prison with hardened criminals AND mean guards who would love to torment my son. I cannot accept him spending time in prison for this minor infraction. For other parolees to commit more serious offenses and be given a slap on the wrist and a warning and be set free; I cannot and will not accept that my son deserves to go to prison now.

If it takes months or years to get my son out and home with me where he belongs, I will fight for my son's right to be free. We were quoted $15,000.00 from the well known lawyer to represent my son at his NEXT parole hearing (whenever that would be) with only a 50/50 chance he'd be set free. Who can afford a $15,000.00 flip of the coin?

I've written to numerous state officials, those within the parole system, as well as senators who take interest in issues such as this. Don't put it past me to go to the media as well; even if to only shine the light on how injust our justice system is. If I've written or faxed an official who can do nothing, I'm satisfied if they in turn send the information onto someone who can!

Just yesterday I received an official letter from someone in the parole system telling me they had received my letter and that it will be put in my son's file for review by the parole board when his next hearing comes up. Well, whoop-ti-tiddly-do! I'm sooo relieved now <sarcasm>

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Welcome to the board MKM!

I'm absolutely speechless and disgusted that this kind of UN-JUSTICE can happen! My heart aches for you I understand a Mother's love, never quit trying to right this horrible wrong.

Kate

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Right out of the gate with a long sob story... interesting.

I've got five bucks that say that a request for money will be coming soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit