Going to the hospital alone...right or wrong?

by Maverick 32 Replies latest social relationships

• kls
    kls

I don't know how you drove, my husband had a kidney stone and there is no way he could have drove himself. He was constantly vomiting from the pain. If you don't want to ask anyone to drive you atleast tell someone were you are going in case some thing would happen. But next time it may not be a stone, my brotherinlaw was having pains and drove himself to the hospital and found he was having a heart attack, not only could he haved killed himself in a crash but maybe others. Did you pass it ? My husband peed it out,,,,Ouch

• Maverick
    Maverick

I managed to keep myself together until the parking lot of the ER. I jumped out of the pick-up and started vomiting! When the pain would spike I just told myself to hang in there a moment longer. Even when I hurt myself at work I shake it off and go right back to work. I fine it hurts less if I don't dwell on it. But I'd rather break fingers and crach a rib or two than go through this pain ever again! Maverick

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

People like to be needed--especially women. I suppose when you "decided" they didn't need to know, they felt that you were distancing them. You didn't do anything wrong at all. People tend to want things to go "their way" no matter what. Sometimes we make decisions that we are perfectly comfortable with, only to find out later that we have offended someone.

However, in saying this, I know very well about kidney stones. I've had separate episodes myself. The first one hit me when I was at this work conference. I didn't know what was going on with me and they wanted to call the ambulance. Being stubborn, I decided to drive the fifteen miles back home--since I'd driven there in my car. It was the most horendous drive of my life, and I truly didn't know whether to drive myself to the hospital or to head home. I had to stop and pull over several times, but I made it home. I went to bed with the clothes I had on and could not bear to move for hours. It finally passed. I later learned what it was, so the next time when it hit me again--like lightening, I went to the ER by myself early one morning. I did let my husband know, but there was nothing he could do for me, by leaving work. I also drove myself home after I got checked out of the hospital.

My husband has had some bad episodes too, and moreso lately since his other major surgery. His were so bad that he could not drive, so I was right there with him through each episode. It was only his first episode that I missed back in '99, when he left work and went to the ER. I didn't know anything until later on that day. I was concerned that he had not contacted me, but he said he didn't want to bother me at work. I told him that we need to at least let each other know what's going on. Since then, we show that consideration to each other as best we can.

We are going to a Urologist tomorrow, because in all the tests they've done, no one has seen these latest "stones", yet the excruciating abdominal agony and the blood in the urine, the low grade fever with the diareah and sick stomach is right on the mark with past episodes. I agree, that the pain is very much like childbirth as I can best remember it. Having this agony every other day or so, is sapping the strength right out of him.

I'm hoping you are feeling better now. Just remember that you can always let your friends know what's going on out of courtesy. Whether or not they come to be with you, etc., is their decision.

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit