Memory Lane

by exjdub 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Kansas City, Kansas ... I think 1969 or 1970. Temps exceeded 100 degrees each afternoon. And Dad decides, since it's so blessed hot, to open the roof vents all the way on the camper to keep it cooler in there while we're at the assembly. Wouldn't you know that night the rain POURED down before we could get back to the camper? No a single dry bed in there ... but somehow we survived.

• Princess
    Princess
    When some of us younger brothers gave him a ribbing about it he simply replied, "hey, when your butt is on fire, you do what you have to do. Besides, it sort of feels like you are riding a bicycle . . . it's not bad."

WTF kind of bike was he riding????

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I don't want to remember any of it. Make the memories go away.........please.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, 1971.

http://www.ballarat.com/

Dad couldn't get time off for the weekdays of our local DC so we drove 500 miles to Ballarat. There were eight of us in a pop-up camper designed for 7. That wasn't the worst...it was the site. A windswept disused airfield with jerry-rigged showers and washrooms made out of black plastic sheeting and no hot water. I don't think we showered for the 3 days we were there and it was so cold we wore our normal clothes over our pajamas.

On Saturday two family members caught the train home while the rest of us took a week's vacation. That was the cool part and the time at the beach was warm and almost totally free of other people. We drove back via the Great Ocean Road and the Coorong.

I suffered (S&M, I guess) 30 years of miserable conventions in cold dirty soccer stadiums. Most of the misery was local. Ballarat was the furthest and most primitive.

3rd

• exjdub
    exjdub
    The only good part about that experience was the scorchingly hot brother that I got to lean on

And here I thought that all the faithful sisters had nothing but pure thoughts all of the time insomniac. lol

All the stories are great and I really enjoyed them. We put up with a lot didn't we? Can you imagine someone getting us to do any of this now? NO WAY!

By the way, if the thread is not completely dead yet...does anyone remember circling around and around and around the stadiums and colleseums checking out all of the hot sisters? (or brothers as the case may be). We used to circle so much we about wore holes in our shoes!

exjdub

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Oh, the District Assemblies had the greatest goof-off factor.

When young...

• Hiding under a make-shift tent on the bleachers at Twickenham sheltering from rain, watching the planes come into land at Heathrow with binoculars...
    • Dancing under a downspout in a rain storm during the lunch break, again at Twickenham (mum NOT amused).

When older...

• I spent many a happy afternoon pushing a nephew around the concourse of Twickenham...
    • Being a 'runner' for one of the foreign-language tents wheer my dad was serving... which meant sitting back stage doing NOTHING...

When a little older still...

• Realsing one of the perks of an Attendant at a stadium was the back-light effect of the stairways down from the seats... sisters don't always wear slips...
    • Building a little rain shelter on the bleachers which afforded the freedom to lounge and doze undisturbed...

The two worst things were;

• Being dragged backwards five yards over gravel by some git 'cause I was in his way (he was taking photos) during a drama. It bloody well hurt. If I hadn't been seven I'd of whacked him one. No one did anything. Hmmm... love...
    • Seeing a woman so heavily pregnant she was waddling (head fully engaged) during an assembly, sat without shelter when the weather was 85 degrees. Shame on whoever was meant to be caring for her...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit