Russell's The Finished Mystery

by GenericMan 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• GenericMan
    GenericMan

The following has been copied from my personal copy of The Finished Mystery:

Even the republics will disappear in the fall of 1920. (258)

In one short year, 1917-1918, the vast and complicated system of sectarianism reaches its zenith of power, only to be suddenly dashed into oblivion. (285)

Ezek. 5:2, 12, 16, 17, relate to features of the destruction of literal Jerusalem in 606 B.C. and 70-73 A.D. and Christendom in 1914 to 1918 A.D. (398)

The year 1918, with its fearful revolutions, and succeeding anarchy, is at the door. (405)

Also, in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by the millions, it shall be that any that escape shall come to the works of Pastor Russell to learn the meaning of the downfall of ?Christianity.? (485)

This system and its adherents will manifest their essentially non-Christian nature when Christendom (Jerusalem) falls at the hands of revolutionists in 1918. (489)

In the year 1918, when Christendom shall go down as a system to oblivion, (Sheol) to be succeeded by revolutionary republics, God will cause mourning. (513)

I don't see how anyone could rationalize this.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS doesn't try to rationalize it, they bury it, hide it, ignore it, make the book obsolete and inaccessible to the average JW. I have always figured that reading the Studies in the Scriptures and other old WTS literature would create more doubts than reading any "apostate" literature.

Blondie

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Maybe one day the Society will realize that just saying a thing doesn't make it so and that unlike God, they cannot merely speak and it comes to pass.

A little humility -- never the Society's strong point -- is in order. Jehovah's Witnesses represent nothing more than another failed attempt by a long line of Apocalyptics to force God's hand.

Dismal failure never seems to dampen the enthusiasm of date-setters, but in the end it is all just a futile exercise.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hey "GenericMan," which addition is this coming from? I did a post several weeks ago, requesting information on the modifications between original and subsequent editions of Russell?s "Studies" books. If you know, please post somewhere.

Yes, as regards what you bring out, there's a crap-load of it! The Society neither denies it now nor embraces; like the UN-thing, they simply don?t comment!

Thanks for your post!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Welcome !!!!!!!!!

Now, post Rutherford's "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" , another bunch of classics.

• Justin
    Justin

It's not Russell's Finished Mystery - Russell never wrote it. Russell had intended to write a seventh volume about the book of Revelation, but as he never felt he was given the "key" to unlock the Apocalypse, he never wrote it. After his death the Society published the Finished Mystery as the seventh volume of the Scripture Study series and claimed that it was the "posthumous" work of Pastor Russell. This was untrue, as a posthumous work is one which an author actually writes but does not publish during his/her lifetime - it is not something which others piece together from the person's other writings and then add their own thoughts to.

Bible Student groups today who offer the Studies in the Scriptures use only the first six volumes which Russell actually wrote. They may offer the Finished Mystery on a CD, for historical interest, but never as part of the Scripture Studies.

• blondie
    blondie

Changes in the Sutides in the Scriptures in new editions

http://www.spotlightministries.org.uk/changedhistory.htm

• Justin
    Justin

The Bible Student editions are the 1916 editions, published one month before Russell's death. They would include changes up to that point, but not changes made later. I think the last edition published by the Society was 1924 or 1926. As one becomes aware of changes in the 1916 edition, one can simply put the original wording in the margin. Changes are usually minor, such as allowing a little more time after the 1914 date to elapse.

• Spooner
    Spooner

poor Russell, started such a grand religion, but now all you Rullellites deny him, what a shame.....

• Satanus
    Satanus

Spooner

poor Russell, started such a grand religion

Russel wasn't poor, he was a businessman, all his life. His new religion was also a business. He had a company which printed the literature and sold it for a fixed price to the religious part of his business, which then saw the lit resold by volunteer sales people. It was slick religio capitalism. Lord calvin would have been proud.

It wasn't a grand religion. It was mostly wacko, new age bu!!$#!t. He picked little bits from all over, and masterfully wove them all together to bamboosle the gullible. Amazingly, there are still many bible students who preferr his bs.

SS

Ps, i just realised you that that may have been a sarcastic comment i responded to. If so, it was a good one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit