JWs get used as an "agency" at Resources Fair for inmates in Iowa

by Gopher 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

Kenneson:

All of Matthew chapter 5 is Jesus intructing his followers in proper acts and one of them is to love their enemies. Foremost in loving ones enemies is to give them the hope of everlasting life.

In this day and age a publishing firm is the best answer to ' feeding the sheep '. Having bibles and other printed study aids is the best way to help people come to an accurate knowledge.

a f i n

• outnfree
    outnfree

a friend in need,

I"ve read your posts and I am deeply saddened. I remember how I was trained to think just as you do, and how I was taught to scorn the humanitarian efforts of other religious and social aid organizations as unimportant and less valuable that what I was doing as a preacher of the good news.

What finally made me see the error of the society's ways was personal experience about Witness discrimination. Whereas Catholic Services and the Salvation Army (among others) reach out a hand to anyone of any faith (or no faith) in need, the Witnesses seemed to have a hard time taking care of those they have been taught ARE their responsibility -- the brothers and sisters.

When I was new to my last congregation and laid up flat on my back, I got assistance from the "friends" -- meals for a week, house cleaning assistance, and calls and cards. Several years later when I had back surgery which meant SIX WEEKS (vs. two) of recuperation, I got a couple of personal visits, 1 plant, NO offers of housecleaning, NO offers of meals to be cooked for my family, and NO offer of hooking me up to meetings I would miss! Only my dearest friend from the congregation visited and called regularly -- but this was something that was our habit before the surgery. What was the difference? I was still Sister Always Prepared, I still was putting in my 10 hours of field service per week, I was still invited to congregation gatherings at that point. I can only guess that the difference was that I was no longer "new" and thus did not have to be impressed by the goodness of my fellow congregants.

Later, I experienced the lack of love in regards to another sister. Her husband, a brother, had slipped into alcoholism. As a result, he had left her, leaving her destitute. She didn't even want a separation, but he was so ashamed he had lost his job, and was not being faithful to Jehovah, that he disappeared from her life. What did the congregation do to help her? You guessed it! -- NOTHING. No money, no offers of employment, no offer of lodging, etc., etc. At least not through the elder body. Because this sister's HUSBAND was a jerk, she apparently wasn't worthy of assistance. Even though she was one of the most beautifully spiritual people I had ever met!!! Why do I know so much about this? Because my dearest friend (mentioned above) and I learned of her circumstances and bought groceries for her and offered her a place to live. She was overwhelmed! Me, I was overwhelmed, too, with disgust at the lack of love on the part of others in the congregation who had known her since she was a young girl.

There is NO SPIRITUAL SUBSTITUTE for human kindness in the form of material help. As has been amply described above, despite your hollow protests which echo WT teaching that the spiritual tripe heaped upon persons by Jehovah's Witnesses is "life-saving," Christ was the model for helping ALL persons, regardless of religious persuasion, both MATERIALLY, PHYSICALLY and SPIRITUALLY. No True Christian can do otherwise.

I hope I'm around to witness your transformation into a caring human being when you finally throw off the shackles of Watchtower religiocentrism.

outnfree

• outnfree
    outnfree

P.S. The preaching work as done by Jehovah's Witnesses is NOT the best way to make converts. You should spend some time researching whether door-to-door witnessing with placement of literature really entices large numbers of people to join the faith.

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

outnfree:

Your name describes very well how you feel about witnesses. I'm sorry for your experiences but the mission of the witnesses is first to serve Jehovah. While catholics and the SA offer physical help to anyone, I consider the good news of the kingdom, offered to everyone of most importance.

As for the door to door witnessing, I guess the increase in their numbers speak for themselves.

a f i n

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

AFIN

I CAN JUST IMAGINE SOMEONE DESTITUTE AND HUNGRY, REALLY BEING INFLUENCED BY YOU GIVING THEM THE WATCHTOWER.

ANYONE WHO HAS RECEIVED MATERIAL AND PHYSICAL HELP FROM, LETS SAY THE SALVATION ARMY, WOULD BE FAR MORE INCLINED TO LISTEN TO THEIR VERSION OF SPIRITUAL HELP THAN ANYTHING FROM THE WBTS.

AS ALWAYS, A DIED IN THE WOOL JW, JUST CAN NOT EXERCISE COMMON SENSE IN THESE AREAS.

THE CULT HAS FULL CONTROL OVER YOUR MIND.

Outoftheorg and blessing God for showing me the way out.

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

outoftheorg:

Having had some experience with the Salvation Army, your point about someone they've fed being more receptive to their message --- doesn't happen. Street people will use anyone they can and the SA is well aware of this.

You are wrong to speculate about my being under mind control; just as I'd be wrong to say that you have no hope of redemption. My common sense is quite good and I use it daily. That's also why I study the scriptures daily to make sure they make sense.

I do wish you all well and say 'goodbye'

a f i n

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

A friend in need,

In this day and age, JWs are not the only ones publishing Bibles and Bible study aids. There have been groups using this method since the invention of the printing press by Gutenberg. And while we're on the topic, the Watchtower didn't come into existence until 1879. Can you tell us who was dispensing spiritual food before then? What was the purpose of God giving mankind the Bible and having them to wait so long before they could understand it?

I'm not adverse to using the printed word, nor as far as that goes, t.v., radio and the internet. Who knows? The internet may one day supercede the printed word? Already many of us are using it to dispense spiritual food on forums such as this one. But I, in no way, imagine that these methods are exclusive to JWs. And Jesus didn't tell us one way or the other whether these means are superior to the one-to-one approach. He certainly didn't have them in his day. And yet he sure fed the people spiritually......and also physically.

Let me give you an example. This morning I ate breakfast in one of the local parks. An ecumenical group fed the homeless. But here's what they do additionally. They make Bibles available to anyone desiring one. Afterward, there is prayer, singing, Bible reading and sharing and witnessing. A classic example of feeding the body and the soul. I still maintain that you can do both. What prevents JWs?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

P.S. You keep mentioning that the mission of Jws is to first preach? Well, what is the second? Or could it be that your mission is to only preach?

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

AFIN

I QUESTION YOUR "EXPERIENCE" WITH THE SALVATION ARMY. I AM A REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR AND KNOW PERSONALLY THE LOCAL DIRECTOR. WHILE IT IS TRUE THAT THE NEEDY DO NOT USUALLY CONVERT TO THE RELIGION THEY PROMOTE, THE SA DOES NOT REQUIRE THEM TO DO SO. AS THE WBTS DOES.

THE SA HELPS ANYONE IN NEED AND THEIR BELIEFS ARE NOT OF CONCERN TO THE SA. AS IT IS IN THE JW WORLD.

HOWEVER I AM TOLD THAT THE NEEDY OFTEN RETURN TO THEIR SPIRITUAL BELIEFS OR LOOK IN THIS DIRECTION FOR THE FIRST TIME, AFTER RECEIVING KINDLY CHRISTIAN HELP FROM THE SA.

("THEY "THE STREET PEOPLE" USE ANYONE.)

IT SEEMS THAT YOUR OPINION OF STREET PEOPLE, IS THAT THEY ARE NOT WORTHY OF HELP.

THIS ATTITUDE IS NOT WHAT WE SEE IN THE ACTIONS OF JESUS. OR OF THE SA.

HOWEVER IT IS THE ATTITUDE OF THE WBTS AND IT SEEMS YOURSELF.

Outoftheorg.

• blondie
    blondie

(Matthew 5:44-47) 44 However, I say to YOU: Continue to love YOUR enemies and to pray for those persecuting YOU; 45 that YOU may prove yourselves sons of YOUR Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous. 46 For if YOU love those loving YOU, what reward do YOU have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if YOU greet YOUR brothers only, what extraordinary thing are YOU doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing?

(Luke 6:32-35) 32

"And if YOU love those loving YOU, of what credit is it to YOU? For even the sinners love those loving them. 33 And if YOU do good to those doing good to YOU, really of what credit is it to YOU? Even the sinners do the same. 34 Also, if YOU lend [without interest] to those from whom YOU hope to receive, of what credit is it to YOU? Even sinners lend [without interest] to sinners that they may get back as much. 35 To the contrary, continue to love YOUR enemies and to do good and to lend [without interest], not hoping for anything back; and YOUR reward will be great, and YOU will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind toward the unthankful and wicked. . .

The WTS helps JWs first, and if they have anything left over, then they help non-JWs, most often, mates and family members of JWs. I have seen it year after year.

And then there is the policy of having the elder body determine is someone in the congregation is worthy of being helped, if their spirituality is judged to be strong enough. Translation: attending all the meetings and getting in at least 10 hours a month. It might be hard for someone who has a chronic illness to meet those criteria, yet they would be judged unqualified. Yes, the elders ar diercted on how to show elderly ones how to access welfare from the government or expect their non-JW relatives to do it. But is that meant to replace help from the congregation?

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit