I've lost my mind

by asleif_dufansdottir 13 Replies latest jw friends

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

It's official - I've lost my mind.

I used to play the violin in college. I literally haven't picked one up for a dozen or so years...it's been more like 15 since I actually played. I sold mine 10 years ago. But music was such a big part of my life for so long there was a big hole, especially after I gave my piano away to move last summer (not that I played it that much either).

So, of course grad school hasn't kept me busy enough ...and I bought another violin yesterday.

(this was my husband's expression btw...that'll teach him to say things like, "well if it costs more in the long run to rent you should have just bought one")

Originally (20-some years ago) I wanted to learn to play bluegrass fiddle (my grandpa's family had a bunch of locally well-known musicians in it), but couldn't find a bluegrass teacher, so I went to a violin instructor. I don't regret learning from her, she's legendary in the area and an excellent teacher. But bluegrass groups weren't to be found back then in the area (the internet makes life so much easier), so I really only played classical.

Eventually practicing just sucked the joy out of playing. That's not going to happen this time. There's a bunch of active bluegrass enthusiasts where I live now and a weekly 'jam session' not far from my house. Plus Ricky Skaggs and his group are coming to town next month

So, any other pickers, fiddlers or grinners on this board??

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Have you checked the lost and found?

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Aslief:

Congratulations to you! I am a freak about country music, and even more of a freak about Blue Grass. I love it. I hated it, growing up, but my Mother (JW pioneer) would listen to it all the time, and it wasn't til I was in my late 30's til I revisited it and found out that it was a very pleasing source of music. You are SOOO lucky that you have musical ability. I wish I could be so lucky! Me and husband bought a piano last year and we are just learning how to play melodies, forget the chords! HAHHAHA. We both wish our parents had forced a musical education on us. I did play the clarinet for two years, so I do know how to read music, but damn.. you are just so lucky to be so blessed.

You haven't lost your mind, just a hobby. Go for it, girl!

CG

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I also played violin. I played the clarinet, saxiphone (tenor, soprano, and bass) also sang in a Mariachi band in HIgh school.

I would say that none of that can do me any good now. The only thing I can remember is how to read music. I think I may have drank my brain cells away.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Country Girl- I didnt know you like Bluegrass, I love Bluegrass too!, In fact I used to attend several bluegrass festivals when I was younger. I cant play any instruments, I wish I could, however I know the lyrics to many bluegrass songs.

JG

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

JG:

You bet I love Bluegrass!

CG

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I play acoustic guitar never had lessons just bought the books and tapes. I've tried and tried to play it,,I see some progress,,my timing is getting better.

I think you really have to lock in rythm more than the right notes.

• copsec
    copsec

I really enjoy bluegrass too. Hated it when I was younger! A good friend of mine plays the mandolin beautifully. Oh, and that Alison Krauss. WOW! I get chills when she sings it is so good

• gumby
    gumby

I can only play the dumb ol' skin flute

Oh, and that Alison Krauss. WOW

" You say it best, when you say nothing at all" Oh Baby!

Gumlust

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I was a music ed major in college (the first time around-I didn't finish the degree because, you know, music teachers have to teach Christmas songs). I was actually better on piano (which I'd played for years), but I wanted to be good on violin. I also liked viola (they're very similar), and used one of the school violas (it was beautiful, bird's eye maple back, like playing warm butter) to play in the string quartet and orchestra. I was also French Horn in band all thru school. So, yeah, reading music is not a problem.

Being in tune is the problem at the moment Violins (violas, cellos, bass) have no frets, so you just have to put your fingers in the right place, and, let me tell you, half a millimeter makes a big difference I have a pretty good ear, which is a blessing, but it can be a curse when you're just learning because you know how bad you sound

It amazes me how fast some of it is coming back, though...I can actually play several recognizable tunes (OK, it's just Suzuki book 1 & 2, but I thought it would take me weeks to get that far again).

Now I just have to learn the bluegrass tunes well enough to play them. It was amazing on Wednesday night. I hadn't played a musical instrument in a group for..about 15 years, I guess, and I walked into the bluegrass jam (not bringing an instrument, mind you, just listening), and felt that real live music all around me and it was an immediate "I'm HOME, GOD I've missed this!!"

I'm just having a really good time now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit