A Historical Jesus?

by uncle_onion 15 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hello Uncle Onion,

Thought I'd add my two cents here.

The case of "well we don't have all the answers" only cuts it so far.

Suppose you grew up a member of the Flat Earth Society and you campaigned half your life in favor of flat-earthism. All those NASA photos of people on the moon and orbiting the earth? Hollywood fiction, nothing more. Flash forward to 2030 when sub-orbital flight around the world is common. You decide for the first time to fly, and you get on one of these space planes and you get way up there and you see out the window with your own eyes that the earth is round. What do you do? Put your visions in the back of your mind until God reveals to you that you saw right? Or believe your eyes and act like an intelligent man?

Same thing with Noah's Flood and all that. You can do like You Know and other Fundies, and ignore the evidence that you can go out and pick up in your own hands. You can pretend that you never saw what you saw. Or you can make the obvious conclusions and act on them.

Your choice.

AlanF

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

Thanks AF

The point that you made is good. I was decieved for 27 years and it is not going to happen again!

I have no problem accepting that the flood, noah etc is false. No problem at all. BUT this Jesus situation is bugging me. If he did exist and to be honest I think that he did, was he who the Bible said he was or was he just a clever man. If I think that he was the son of God then this goes against what I have concluded to myself of late and what there is scientific evidence for.It seems to me that you have to accept all of one or all of another?There is no half way point?

UO

• Maximus
    Maximus

::If we believe that he was the son of God then we have to accept the Genesis account as Jesus quoted from Moses and mentioned Noahs flood

The Gospel writer QUOTES him as saying that. Period. He likely believed it just like Paul believed the end was near. The Bible is a book of faith, not accurate history.

Who Jesus actually was and what someone then or today says he was, is another matter.

Quester, I appreciated your thoughts. I met Ray Brown just before his death. His scholarship was at an incredibly high level, yet he personally was not a dogmatic man.

Enjoy the journey; it's not the "right" destination, but the joy along the way.

Maximus

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

Hello Uncle Union, Amazing, JanH and all:

I've been reading a few things regarding a historical Jesus (mostly critical). Amazing, you mentioned Jim Penton saying there were too many historical accounts of Jesus to neglect. Is he referring to extra-biblical accounts? Is so what are those?

One article I've been reading The Christ ( http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/rmsbrg00.htm) provides a list of of contemporary or near-contemporary writers who are silent about a historical Jesus or Jesus Christ ( http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/rmsbrg02.htm).

Another proof that the Christ of Christianity is a fabulous and not a historical character is the silence of the writers who lived during and immediately following the time he is said to have existed.

That a man named Jesus, an obscure religious teacher, the basis of this fabulous Christ, lived in Palestine about nineteen hundred years ago, may be true. But of this man we know nothing. His biography has not been written. A Renan and others have attempted to write it, but have failed -- have failed because no materials for such a work exist. Contemporary writers have left us not one word concerning him. For generations afterward, outside of a few theological epistles, we find no mention of him.

The following is a list of writers who lived and wrote during the time, or within a century after the time, that Christ is said to have lived and performed his wonderful works:
    Josephus
    Philo-Judaeus
    Seneca
    Pliny the Elder
    Suetonius
    Juvenal
    Martial
    Persius
    Plutarch
    Justus of Tiberius
    Apollonius
    Pliny the Younger
    Tacitus
    Quintilian
    Lucanus
    Epictetus
    Silius Italicus
    Statius
    Ptolemy
    Hermogones
    Valerius Maximus Arrian
    Petronius
    Dion Pruseus
    Paterculus
    Appian
    Theon of Smyrna
    Phlegon
    Pompon Mela
    Quintius Curtius
    Lucian
    Pausanias
    Valerius Flaccus
    Florus Lucius
    Favorinus
    Phaedrus
    Damis
    Aulus Gellius
    Columella
    Dio Chrysostom
    Lysias
    Appion of Alexandria

Enough of the writings of the authors named in the foregoing list remains to form a library. Yet in this mass of Jewish and Pagan literature, aside from two forged passages in the works of a Jewish author, and two disputed passages in the works of Roman writers, there is to be found no mention of Jesus Christ.

Could someone provide a response, rebuttal or provide sources for other extra-biblical contemporary or near-contemporary writers who do mention either Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ. Suggestions for further reading, both critical and apologetic would be welcome as well.

From the brief research I've done, many scholars believe Jesus Christ of the NT to be a combination or composite of possibly three distinct entities -- Jesus Christ (a mythological person, the performer of miracles, etc.), Jesus of Nazareth, and a Gnostic named Jesus. The silence of the previously listed people speaks volumes to me. As well, there may be more recent discoveries that provide new insight into who Jesus was.

I've also been looking at the Jesus Seminar's The Five Gospels in which the scholars believe that about 80% or more of what has Jesus has been attributed to have said in the NT, he, in fact, probably did not say.

Peace,
    CPiolo

The worst vice of the fanatic is his sincerity. -- Oscar Wilde

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's not clear to me that you have to go the all-or-nothing route, Uncle. There are plenty of things in the world that I don't understand and probably never will. Some things you accept because of your mind, some because of your gut. Only you can work it out. The trick is to avoid confusing your mind with your gut, because one is a much better guide to life's decisions than the other.

AlanF

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

Perhaps I did not make myself clear Alan.I can not accept the Genesis accounts.BUT and it is a big but,if Jesus existed, then was he the son of God? If he was, then you HAVE to accept the Genesis account.But this goes against all reasoning.I feel that you can not accept one against the other. Either the Bible is completely true and is the word of God or it is not. There has been a lot of commments on this thread as to why people feel that Jesus was just a man and I would be interested in knowing why they think this way please.I need avenues to explore!

UO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit