have you become a Christian since leaving the JW's.....if so why?

by digderidoo 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I'm not ready to jump into any new belief system. I don't trust the concept of faith without proof, which lacks meaning for me.

• Left_Field
    Left_Field

I agree totally with all the pro-posts for Christianity. I especially agree with Room there. If you want to get closer to understanding then you should look at spending some personal time with the bible and read Christ's words. You will find phrases such as "Where two or three of you gather together in my name, there shall I also be" and "Only through me shall you know the Father" etc etc. You will find surprisingly different meaning to many passages that you thought you may have known because you will keep reading through the chapter rather than play scriptural leap-frog.

God did say that the words he gave us to learn were not beyong man's capability. That would suggest that "any man" would be capable of understanding his word.

Personally, I am struggling with my Faith on a day to day basis and I was out 12 years ago and only in for 18 months. But those words have stuck like an infection for so many years. They play havoc with me when I slip up. I believe that there is a darker force that is eager to win us over so we fail according to the "rules of soul saving" if you like. I have struggled and been in Crisis for a while now. When I am alone and hear voices I pray to God. It works. I don't know if I have a brain mentdown or that I am really being attacked spiritually but hey, it's my personal thing and it may be a psychosematic way of working through stuff, who knows.

I also found that just turning up to a sunday service when I fancy it at a more liberal gathering place fills me with what I need and helps me through the tough times. It also reaffirms that I am missing something and I then try to discover more. I've also learnt not to judge other Christians cause I don't know how faithful they are and why they go to their church -- there could be a hundred good or bad reasons for it.

Nick

• Clinton
    Clinton

Ok here is a thought that some of you may have had and maybe you can enlighten me or have a few suggestions for me. First of all I am like some of you where I am concentrating on healing from 36 years of being in jdubdom. Because of the hypocrisy I have seen and that I cannot trust what men have to say especially when it comes to interpreting what the bible means as I have seen it twisted in all manner of ways. Also I have some problems believing that the bible is accurate as well. Men have been translating it for centuries and who is to say that even in old manuscripts things were changed to fit the writers own preferences and with a little adulteration over time here and there and I wonder what should I believe and what shouldn?t I? I certainly can?t trust any man (or woman as the case may be) to tell me how to interpret it. Who is God? I certainly believe in a creator but who and what is he? Is he just some higher intelligence is he the God of the bible or the Koran or is he the God?s of Hinduism? I don?t know. I have seen how men have used religion to control others and I am just totally turned off on it. I have people I work with who are totally controlled by their religion and swear that what they believe is the right way. How can I believe that if God is love like the bible says that he would only accept the minority of the world?s population just because they claim to be Christian? Hasn?t religion only caused wars and hatred? Haven?t men in the name of Christ done horrible things? I try to be a good person, treat others respectfully like I want to be treated and I give to charitable organizations that I believe in. According to most Christians though my not accepting Christ as my savior means I will miss out on an afterlife of happiness. I don?t believe our creator wants us to do things for what we will get in return. Maybe I am jaded and most likely am wrong in my opinions but I have such a hard time accepting the nice neat little box that so many accept as their religion.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Clinton

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

IMHO "God" loves you for who you are, so you might as well quit with the "I try to be a good person" routines. I don't believe it fools anyone, least of all "God".

I suspect it comes down to a simple choice, at the end of the day. Do you want "Him" to be your father, and submit your will to "His", or are you happy doing your own thing?
    Either way, you might as well stop with the guilt tripping and enjoy your choice.

LT "desire to glorify God and enjoy Him forever" class

• Clinton
    Clinton

What exactly do you mean by "guilt tripping"?

Clinton

• Sassy
    Sassy

not me. Right now I am burnt out on relgion and I don't trust any to be telling the truth. Too much of my time was wasted on the WTS, so unless I have good reason to believe in another, I am going to put my time to better use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit