Do ExJWs Feel They Must Become Elders and "Elderesses" Now?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34
    I've known of a number of men that couldn't quite cut it as a servant or elder and when an elder or servant worked for THEM, (as in cleaning biz), they MADE sure they exercised their authority as THE BOSS......There are many smarter sisters than there are brothers in a given Hall. I've seen some that have complained that they are "talked down to". Whenever given the opportunity, the "older sisters" would always find a way to counsel the younger sisters or children.--Minimus

I don't know about that. But that was with current JWs. Your thread question is about ExJWs and I asked if you had observed this or was it simply speculation. Pat

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I'm still confused!

• minimus
    minimus

No you're not confused, Brother Moderator, Oz. Wink wink. .......down to 1 more post per the system.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Ohhhhh!!!!!!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

Of course what is seldom explored in discussing such issues, is that even among those who lived within the eclectic domain of 'elder' and 'ministerial servant', there were those who behaved like dominant, bullying, anemic, polyester clad louts, and those who did not. The dominant bullying, anemic, polyester clad louts, would probably have behaved exactly the same if they had not been JW's but post office tellers, as would those elders who were and are decent people.

There was a special kind of elder though who loved to spend hours during Judicial Committees, and who delighted in spreading out sixty minute elders meetings into five day ones by asking endless, miserable and inane questions.

Perhaps this is a habit that some might have transferred into their XJW life.

HS

• minimus
    minimus

Thrillary Strep, I was the elder that could hardly wait to run out of the meeting and get a beer or martini. I used to HATE the Boy's Club attitude. Many of these guys loved being elders because it made them feel cool. I'm sure you can relate to that thought, while you were in, of course.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

Never worn polyester in my life, despite your tailors hard sell technique.

HS

• Englishman
    Englishman

Good heavens.

Englishman.

• willyloman
    willyloman

When I became an elder, a young man in the congregation who was a very classy dresser took me aside and told me to "lose" the polyester and that grown-up men wore cotton and wool, natural fabrics, and wouldn't be caught dead in the fake stuff. But he said it in a nice way. I went out and bought a new wardrobe and tossed all the polyester clothes I owned. That was more than 20 years ago, and I haven't worn polyester since. So something good came from it.

• minimus
    minimus

Hillary Step LOVES nylon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit