Fuzzy Definitions or Spot the Difference

by TD 16 Replies latest social current

• TD
    TD

From "family values" to "SUV" American politics is full of buzz-words. The apparent willingness of both the left and the right in America to embrace and use terms that are difficult or impossible to define has always amused me. (Of course, perhaps I'm just easily amused.)

For example, with suset of the VIOLENT CRIME CONTROL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT ACT OF 1993 set for this fall, I wonder if after a decade, anyone truly knows what an "assualt weapon" really is.

Below are pictures of two rifles. One is a banned "assualt weapon" and one is perfectly legal.

Both are AR15's. Both are semi-automatic. Both fire the 5.56 NATO round (Remington .223) Both have the same after-market stock. Both have the same finish. Both have the same lower receivers. Both take the same capacity magazines. Both have the same muzzle brake.

However this is not a trick question. The offending feature of the banned "assualt weapon" is visible

Any takers?

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

Just a guess... but the top gun looks like the gun my son just bought for air-soft and something about those little covers replicating the look of holding the electronics for a hair trigger...

Thats the only thing I can come up with... and, uh, that's tougher than those diner placemats I used to do with the kids...

OUT

• nilfun
    nilfun

the magazine?

• nilfun
    nilfun

flash suppressor?

• nilfun
    nilfun

the safety-lock thingie?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

look at nilfun tryin' to get the boys all turned on.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I would say the magazine is quite different. The top one has the dealie bopper that drops down right in front of the trigger compartment. The thing that holds a buncha bullets. And the bottom one doesn't. Izzat it? Hey.. I never said I had credentials in arms-trading. Heh. I think you aren't posta be able to take those out for it to be legal.

CG

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Same type of gun, but different brand?

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

The one on the bottom w/out clip has a removable trigger guard. I know little about the parts of a gun, but I think that is illegal. Gun fighters would saw them off their pistols in the "wild" west; quicker to shoot, but the kinda thing that misfires if you are ham handed. Thats the only thing I could see the pics are too small. One has a metal latch, and on the other it looks like it is molded into the um handle.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Morning all;

(from http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcassaul.html)

... the Federal 1994 Crime Bill ... states a semi-automatic rifle is an assault weapon if it can accept a detachable magazine and has two or more of the following:

• A folding or telescoping stock
    • A pistol grip
    • A bayonet mount
    • A flash suppressor, or threads to attach one
    • A grenade launcher.

Based on that, there's a small doo-dad under the foreward sight of the one with the magazine, but it's none of the above, so it has to be the magazine; the one with the detachable magazine is an assault weapon, the one without you load an internal magazine (5 capacity?) by sticking them in the top ( through the hole the shell casing comes out of when fired, I'm no gunny, don;t ask me what its called).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit