I lived beyond 21?

by 4JWY 12 Replies latest jw friends

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Today's my birthday as I hit that 1/2 century mark - and here I didn't think I'd make it past 21 (1975).

How does it start out today? I'm walking at a local park and happened upon the retired couple who are volunteer rangers - I mentioned that later in the day I'm returning to the park with my family to take some family photos on my 50th b-day. The two of them immediately broke out in unison singing "Happy Birthday" to me- I thanked them and said that was very special as I have never in my life celebrated my birthday. Of course, they wondered where I was coming from and I explained I was raised in a "cult" that forbid it- JW's, but that I have now left it. To which the woman exclaimed, 'HAVE YOU FOUND THE LORD? & DO YOU KNOW THE PURPOSE OF LIFE?" Geesh.............I thought. Not today please............... She goes running off to her RV and gives me a copy of the NY Times bestseller Christian book, "The Purpose Driven Life - What on Earth am I here For?", by Rick Warren. It's a campaign edition for a 40 DAYS OF PURPOSE crusade happening all around the country I guess. I graciously accepted the book, explaining that previously I'd have thrown it in the trash can immediately - but now, I'm thinking of doing that anyway............anybody else feel like that sometimes?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

4JWY Happy 1st birthday to you.

And if it wasn't the fact that the couple in the park sang Happy Birthday first, I would have thought you were having a "Close Encounter of the JW Kind" Spooky !

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Thank you xjw

The whole thing was just kinda creepy feeling as I thought they had taken advantage of that famous "opportunity" in the conversation!

• kls
    kls

4JWY,,,,, happy b-day to you,,,,, i have learned to not speak of any religion to any person i don't know just for the fact of having to hear about theirs, as i am not interested and don't want to hear them preach at me . I had all i want to hear from the jw cult.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Happy birthday !!

LOL made it past 21... same with me, didn't think I'd make it through 1994 (with the whole generation 70-80 years after 1914 thing...)

I just got that same book from somebody at work, after explaining some of the things I'm going through with my family's religion. How funny! What's bad is, she's always asking me how far along I am with it... it's like a chapter a day kind of thing. I haven't thrown it away yet, but I'm hoping she doesn't follow up with me anymore. She's always trying to get me to go to her church too... man, I thought only the witnesses were bad, guess I was wrong about that.

-------------------------------------------------------

But nothing is sweeter than to occupy a lofty sanctuary of the mind, Well fortified with the teachings of the wise, Where we may look down on others as they stumble along, Vainly searching for the true path of life... ?Lucretius

• Carmel
    Carmel

Happy Birthday 4JWY! Hope the photos turn out well. Gonna post one??? Huh? HuH??

carm

• 4JWY
    4JWY

kls: Thanks - I agree completely and think I will adopt that approach too. I don't discuss politics OR RELIGION, right?

it'sallgood - NOW! - did you say you wanna study with me? lol !

Carmel: How did you know - I considered doing that very thing, posting the photos - just not sure if I'm there yet tho. We leave soon for the shoot. That couple better not come snooping around!

• Sassy
    Sassy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 4JWY!!!!!!!! Happy FIRST BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Yeah, I've had a Christian at work try to evangelize me a couple of times. Whatcha gonna do? At least they don't wake you up on Saturday morning!

Oh, and happy birthday!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit