supposing you wanted to start your own community project, what would you do

by Celtic 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

Just supposing you wanted to start your own community project or to do something, anything for other people, and supposing you had a few hours spare each week and some funding to get a project off the ground, what would you ideally like to do? Would it be that you might like to start an ex witness healing group or similar, or perhaps some theatre production, screen writing etc, or perhaps a recycling project or perhaps helping out elderly individuals in your home area?

If you could use your imagination, what would you like to do? And what holds you back from accomplishing small step by small step, these goals? Plus, even though none of us has every single skill in the book, who could you see yourself perhaps ideally wishing to be networking and cooperating with?

Kindest regards

Mark Price

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

An abuse recovery center that would supply information, referrals, individual and grouyp counseling on all forms of abuse.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I would set up a youth project which would give kids from the local council estate something to do other than take speed and nick cars. I have heard of some good youth projects which have taken joy riders and taught them to drive properly with banger racing and they develop some self respect and respect for their community hence making everyones lives better

• Maya
    Maya

Community Gardens.....

I think it would be a great way to get kids involved in something that THEY could be proud of........

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I would love to start a community animal shelter, as there are a lot of strays around here, and offer free shots and grooming, and having people in the community volunteer being there.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would like to coordinate short term one-off projects that people can do for a month or two without committing themselves (or me) for the rest of their lives. Things I have done or would like to try:

• Income Tax Volunteers, who complete returns for seniors, shut-ins, single parents, low income families, and the homeless. Some of these people are owed hundreds of dollars. Assisting them with a simple form can dramatically improve their lives. It is a humbling experience for the volunteer to see how simply some of these people live.
    • Youth Art Project - coordinate a group of youth in the creation of an art project, such as a community quilt or repainting the side of a building, decorate the local skateboard park.
    • Militant Happyism - gather a group of transit riders and brainstorm ways to make our daily rides memorable for our fellow passengers.
    • Assist seniors and shut-ins with gardening and snow removal.
  • Sirona
    Sirona

A samaritans type walk-in centre for any adult who needs to talk. Totally confidential. I'd also arrange activities for people - social events etc. via this group.

Sirona

• blondie
    blondie

In my area, there is a coordinating organization for volunteer work and groups. The local United Way is one organization that does that. All the ones you have mentioned are already existing support/volunteer groups in my area. It is a case of contacting them and plugging into their already existing setup. Of course, if you don't find one, it would be good to start one. That is how many of these started up in the first place.

I like the idea of food pantries, donating, and organizing donations, manning the pantry for a few hours each week.

Blondie

• Emma
    Emma

I would want to help women in transition, from all economic classes. It seems like middle income women are left out because they make "too much" money for free help, but really don't make enough to make transitions go smoothly. It could be divorce, pregnancy, abortion, loss, grief, job, back to school,etc.

Emma

• Celtic
    Celtic

Celtics home from satellite imagery outer space:

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?x=179556&y=32717&scale=5000

Just thought I'd show you, now will read above comments.

Mark

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit