The Best years of our lives...

by Jonty Parkin 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Jonty Parkin
    Jonty Parkin

Hello friends!

Well, I never thought I'd see the day when I was prepared to talk about my 20 plus years in "The Truth" (rolls eyes upward in despair)! In view of what I have to show from it, I cannot help thinking that I wasted the best years of my life! I had a lovely wife, now I am divorced. I had a pleaasnt little home. But I let her keep it the end.

Now, I cringe when I think back on how I allowed myself to be controlled and manipulated for so long, persisting in an suppressive and stifling lifestyle which, ultimately, in my heart, I knew I did not believe in!

It was only when I started studying for my degree with the Open University that I gradually learned to think for myself, and question my involvement with the whole sorry show.

I was baptised in 1977. The last meeting I attended was "The Memorial" in 1998. To this day I don't know what my current "status" is among "watchtowerdom", and frankly, I don't care enough to find out!

Now, (thanks to my hard-earned degree that "the brothers" desperately tried to prevent me from completing), I live and work in China as an English teacher. I am engaged to a beautiful Chinese woman who loves me as much as I love her. I have finally found all the things that I (and no doubt many like me) only pretended to have in "the truth"; namely - a true sense of purpose, honest and loyal friends, true and unsupervised love, contentment, and above all - FREEDOM!

So, I don't know who or what has blessed me - I have kind of lost touch with the concept of a single, idebtifiable god, along with the desire to find out - but in the end, and I can only speak for myself, I have been blessed! Though I now have very little in the way of material assets, these days really are the best years of my life!

Has anyblody else had a similar life-enriching experience as a direct result of making the break?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Jonty

nice post! It reminded me of the song Rick Danko wrote years ago, All Our Past Times. Great song which helped me a lot get over the feelings of lost time and wasted life; the happiness of the PRESENT is what matters!

Is it cold in China at the moment??

Pope

ALL OUR PAST TIMES (Rick Danko)

I don't want to be the one to say I'm sorry.
    I don't want to be the one to take the blame.
    I don't want to be the one to throw it over.
    I don't want to be the one to feel ashamed.

I don't want to be the one who thinks of nothing.
    I don't want to be the one to tell you what you have seen.
    After all this time, well I thought that you were mine.
    I just want to be the one who would share this dream.

All our past times should be forgotten.
    All our past times should be erased.
    I don't care how much it costs;
    'Cause I don't count the loss
    As long as I can see your face again.

You don't have to tell me when you're leaving,
    If it's half past one, if it's maybe four.
    It makes no difference where you think you're going,
    But please remember not to slam the door.

Chorus

Yes, I don't care how much it costs;
    You know I don't count the loss
    As long as I can see your face again.
  • ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hello! And a big, hearty Welcome!!!

I have only been on this site for a short time, but can tell you that you will find a lot of Support from the people on this site. It is so encouraging to hear that things are working out so well for you. WOW-Living in China, and teaching english, and finding a beautiful lady to share your life with. Sounds like you really are blessed! Sounds like you have blessed yourself, by being able to move on with your life, and doing something worthwhile! This site is a lot of fun, you will be able to share everyones happiness, and also will find that most are here to encourage each other when the going "Gets tough". You came to the right place! Welcome again!!!

• Huxley
    Huxley

Welcome!

Huxley

• Fleur
    Fleur

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

I'm up late with insomnia and about to retire, but just wanted to tell you that I too have found greater happiness since leaving than I ever knew living in the org, and I was born in.

I too had a failed (JW) marriage, left him and the organization in one swoop, and am now remarried and happier than I have ever been, much to the consternation of my JW relatives.

Not that it's all flowers and sunshine, the effects of leaving (including being shunned by most of my family) are still here, but I wouldn't trade the life I have now, no way.

Hope to hear more posts from you. Don't look back, if you can help it. The best is ahead of you, and me both, I believe. Thank you for your post.

fleur

ps, what a lovely picture :)

• Jonty Parkin
    Jonty Parkin

Thank you, new and true friends! Wow, I only found this place an hour aga, and already feel welcome, so thank you all again! Yes, though I am a Brit, I have been in China since September 2003 teaching English, and I will be here until at least 2005/06, by which time I will be married to my lovely CoCo!

I live about 6 hours train ride south of Shanghai, in a small town called Tongling, on the banks of the Yangtzee River. Most people here are very poor, but they manage to get by with so little. Frankly, I feel that that I am at last doing something meaningful with my life - and I no longer have to fill out my monthly report slip to say how many hours I put in! Ha ha!

Right now in is spring here, and so there is a lot of blossom and the trees and many beautiful butterflies flitting about. It is quite hot, as hot as it ever gets at the height of an English summer. Also, here it is GMT + 8, so right now it is 15.10.

Oh well, I'll shut up now, otherwise I might wear out my welcome on my first day!

Thanks again chaps! Look forward to chatting again soon!

Jonty

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Welcome!

I have always wanted to visit Asia. I love the culture, music, art, food and graceful people of most Asian countries. Good for you. An inspiration you are.

Flyin'

• Maverick
    Maverick

Nice account JP. I too have come out of a 24 year sleep and these are the best years of my life! Maverick

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

It was only when I started studying for my degree with the Open University that I gradually learned to think for myself, and question my involvement with the whole sorry show

Now you know why the WTBTS discourages education, especially after grade school. Glad to have you here.

xjw_b12

edited to correct temporary case of dyslexia

• dh
    dh

niiiiiiiiiii haoooooooooooooooooooo

welcome to the board, where abouts in china you living?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit