So what exactly IS an apostate?

by somebodylovesme 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thanks, I will do that.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

What is an Apostate-well let's see.....6'2", 190lbs, Black hair, hazel eyes, goatee, Italian,-oops wait a minute-that's me!

Seriously though, the family that brought my parents into the truth became inactive, then denounced their faith, and joined another religion. I do not believe that they spoke against the witnesses at all to others, as they just wanted to be left alone, but were considered apostates by our congregation. If only they would have met my parents AFTER they left!

• little witch
    little witch

Somebody,

Well, I tried to use the search feature, and didnt meet with good results, soooooo...

Lets all contribute to this thread and revive the discussion. Ok, all you peeps who have the wt on cd!!!

Craig, Blondie, Others?!

There is a progression that the wt has used over the years in defining the term, and it is much more broad now. I hope that some of our more knowledgable members will help you (with direct references of jw literature).

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

I thought an apostate was anyone who didnt agree with the faithful slave and then told someone else they didnt agree

If you keep it to yourself that you have a thinking brain you are not an apostate

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thanks, Little Witch.... Yeah, I thought the search was fruitless, but I can never find anything with it. I am very interested to see the progression of definitions...

Always learning new things about the JWs - and then I get really mad.

Edited to add: I'm going to bed now, but I'll be back tomorrow. Thanks, all!

SLM

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    would someone who fades away and professes no religion still be considered an apostate if he or she didn't try to take anyone with them and did not attack the religion?

No they wouldn't be considered apostate.

The WT's offical page says that they don't shun "former members" - so those of us who are faders are shooting for the status of being former members - which is mostly known as "inactive"

• gumby
    gumby

An Apostate...according to the Watchtowers own definition, is:

An abandoning the worship of Jehovah God, rebelling against Jehovah, and claiming to believe the bible, but rejecting his Organisation.

So, in one paragraph, the society EQUATES itself with Jehovah. If you reject the Jehovahs Witnesses, it's the exact same thing as rejecting Jehovah himself, regardless how much you believe in him. That is a good definition of a cult btw

Notice how the reasoning book "labels" what would constitute Apostacy,

1.They seek to make others their followers!

2.They believe in Jesus, but don't like preaching too much.

3.They reject his "representatives", his "visible organisation.

4.They use "public criticism, and other methods" to hinder "their" work. They only tear down and never build up.

5. You can become apostate by reading apostate literature or talking to them.

6.You can become apostate if you begin to think like they do.

7.The 144,000 can lose any hope of ever recovering from apostasy.

All of this information can be found on pages 34-37 in the "Reasoning" book.

Gumby

• Fleur
    Fleur

*raises hand* Me! I am!

Oh...wait, I thought you were asking who was an apostate. Sorry ;)

but then again i'm not trying to get any followers so maybe i don't qualify after all...

~fleur

• grows1
    grows1

Who is an apostate???

APOSTATE

Definition:

1. [n] a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc.

2. [adj] not faithful to religion or party or cause

Synonyms: deserter, ratter, recreant, renegade, unfaithful See Also: quitter

Webster's 1913 Dictionary Definition:

1. \A*pos"tate\, n. [L. apostata, Gr. ?, fr. ?. See

2. {Apostasy}.]

3. 1. One who has forsaken the faith, principles, or party, to

4. which he before adhered; esp., one who has forsaken his

5. religion for another; a pervert; a renegade.

7. 2. (R. C. Ch.) One who, after having received sacred orders,

8. renounces his clerical profession.

11. \A*pos"tate\, a.

12. Pertaining to, or characterized by, apostasy; faithless to

13. moral allegiance; renegade.

15. So spake the apostate angel. --

17. A wretched and apostate state. --Steele.

20. \A*pos"tate\, v. i. [L. apostatare.]

21. To apostatize. [Obs.]

23. We are not of them which apostate from Christ. --Bp.

Thesaurus Terms Related Terms: atheist, atheistic, backslider, backsliding, blasphemer, blasphemous, bolter, collaborationist, collaborative, collaborator, convert, defector, degenerate, demurrer, deserter, disloyal, dissenter, dissentient, dissident, faithless, fallen, fallen from grace, fifth columnist, impious, irreligious, irreverent, lapsed, mugwump, nonconformist, objector, opinionist, opposition voice, profanatory, profane, proselyte, protestant, protester, quisling, rat, recidivist, recidivistic, recreant, recusant, renegade, renegado, renegate, reversionist, runagate, Sabbath-breaker, sacrilegious, sacrilegist, schismatic, seceder, secessionist, sectarian, sectary, separatist, strikebreaker, tergiversant, tergiversating, tergiversator, traitor, traitorous, treasonable, treasonous, turnabout, turncoat, turntail, unbeliever, undutiful.......

By this definition, just about anyone and everyone is or was a religion different from the religion they were "born" into or was raised in is an apostate- including most JW's.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Jehovah's Witnesses use the word "apostate" in almost exactly the same way racist use the word "nigger".

I am an apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit