If I had a million dollars or 2

by Junction-Guy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• natalienu
    natalienu

If I had a million buckaroos I would buy me an island and go live on it away from the things of man!

• Valis
    Valis

nat, how about the occassional visit from the "things" of man on your island?

Sincerely,

Distirct Overbeer

• copsec
    copsec

I love that line fro Office Space! Hubby and I are always saying that and cracking up laughing. Hmmm, if i had a million, help the local animal "no kill" shelter and my family and friends. Really I wouldn't waste one dime or minute on the Org.

• natalienu
    natalienu

Amendment to my island -

I would buy an island with my own little pub on it and chocolate factory, private masseuse and chef. But anyone trying to get on my island will be shot!

hehehe!

• flower
    flower

I love movie office space!

I agree Princess, its all about me if I won a million lol. Believe me nothing would help us get over our JW issues faster than hittin the lottery. You wouldnt see me on here again thats for damn sure..I would be too busy basking in the Bali sun, furnishing my Villa in Tuscany, back packing across Europe..............ah to dream. :)

• Mulan
    Mulan

It would sure make retirement easy. I think we would travel and see all the places we've always wanted to go, and take family with us.

I'd invest some to be sure there was lots of money to leave our kids. I'm also pretty sure I would be giving some away too.

• maxwell
    maxwell

Are there islands that can be bought with only a million? Two million wouldn't be enough to buy some houses around here. A million or two would also be gone quickly if you wanted to put a message on billboards all over the country. I suppose a million or two would be a good start for a scholarship fund if you did some good investing and were selective in the awarding process. On the other hand several million could cover a lot. :) Not that I'd be complaining if I got a million. But I wouldn't be quitting my job at my age and any unselfish acts would be limited.

• bebu
    bebu

I don't have a million, but I do have $2.

I'd keep something for my kids' college education. I'd make some home improvements (probably run $50k-60 or so). And buy a lot from the neighbor for my kids to run in. (I'm not interested in 'moving up'; I feel fine where we are.) I'd invest in some homes for rentals or something, for retirement income. Then with the rest, I'd invest in people/the community in various ways... and there are lots of ways to do that.

One million can go pretty fast! <--imagine wings on a $ bill)

bebu

• Descender
    Descender

Heh, one million wouldn't go very far nowadays. After I paid off my house and current bills, I'd have about 850k. My parents just sold their property that they paid $42,500 for in 1977 for 1.5 million. The new property and house that they are building with very conservative figures is going to run about 700k and it's about 3500 square feet, nice, but not a tajma hall or anything, not even a swimming pool.

You could actually take the whole one million dollars and put in some sort of conservative money market fund that gains 5% a year and end up making about $38,500 a year after you paid your taxes in that tax bracket. So, if you and you're family can currently live on $38,500 a year then you could quit your job and live off your million for the rest of your life, but that would probably entail no selfless acts or contributions to charities. If you can't currenty live on $38,500 a year wherever you live, then you'd probably have to keep on working.

Now, with ten million dollars, that's another story. :)

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I'd pay somone to adopt my kids. Buy the most expensive motor home I could find, and travel the continent like Charles Kuralt, doing monthly video productions entitled "XJW-B12's Apostate America".

For those of you who want to do the billboard thing, feel free to use this:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit