So How Good Was Roy Orbison Then?

by Englishman 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I recall staying home from nursery school, with my teenaged sister, to watch him on Where The Action Is back in 1964 or maybe it was 65. He sang Pretty Woman. I loved him, even at five or six years old.

I love the Traveling Wils.

The quality of his voice? Elvis Presley loved Roy's voice and felt his own voice was inferior.

Flyin'

• blondie
    blondie

Orbison's was a special talent no better acknowledged than by Bruce Springsteen when inducting Roy into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in 1987.

"In 1975, when I went in to the studio to make Born To Run, I wanted to make a record with words like Bob Dylan that sounded like Phil Spector. But, most of all, I wanted to sing like Roy Orbison."

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

I dug Roy.

• Mac
    Mac
    I recall staying home from nursery school, with my teenaged sister, to watch him on Where The Action Is back in 1964 or maybe it was 65. He sang Pretty Woman. I loved him, even at five or six years old.

Wow.........I forgot all about that show!!!!!!!

Now I'm having flashbacks of Shindig and Hullabaloo .........I can hear Bobby Sherman singing "Julie, Julie,Julie Do Ya Love Me?"........... Please make it stop!!!!!!!!!!

( Grrrrrr......I'll get even with you for this Heather!)

mac

• Englishman
    Englishman

Iron Gland,

OK, done some research!

First off, Raul Malo does have some some similarities to Roy Orbison. However, the track that I have found on WinMX is of him and Roy actually duetting together, singing Bridge over troubled water..

Here's a link to mention of this: http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/cswann/misc.htm

Englishman.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I can hear Bobby Sherman singing "Julie, Julie,Julie Do Ya Love Me?"...........Please make it stop!!!!!!!!!!

Mac, stop it! Bobby Sherman was hot, hot, hot to 11 year old girls.He's a cop now and a good guy. Think of Terri Garr. She was a dancer on one of those shows: ShinDig I think it was.

I wonder if Where The Action Is played in England. E-man, did you get any of those shows Mac mentioned? I know you had your own similar shows. Do you recall seeing Roy O. on any of them?

Flyin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit