Why?

by Undecided 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

Almost all my memories are connected to the JWs in some way. If I go down an old road I haven't driven on in many years almost all the memories are about some bible study there, some store that I ate dinner in when in service, some place where we met for meetings, a home that some JW lived in back when I was a kid. I get sort of melancholy remembering my parents and cousins who are all dead now. We were a close family and all tied in to the JW life. Almost all my youth was a happy time and I can't just toss it away because I was so involved in the JW life.

Even though I am happy to be out today, I don't really mind that I was involved in my youth. I will never forget those happy days with my family. So if I don't seem angry for being a JW maybe you can understand. I wasn't treated badly like so many others here who's family was torn apart by the cults policies. I feel so sorry for those who have had to deal with the crap that it can cause in your life under the wrong circumstances. I was so lucky.

Ken P.

• Puternut
    Puternut

Ken,

I think we all have those memories. How can you forget when you were in the borg. But as you mentioned, some have had it harder than others. And some have left under bad circumstances, eventhough when they had a reasonable good life in the borg.

Puternut

(not so lucky)

• Maverick
    Maverick

I am happy for you! Want a cookie? Maverick

• boa
    boa

Undecided, I too am one who has not been maltreated by elders or other individuals in the congregation and have many fine memories while in da troof. My 'stumbling' out of the org is more for doctrinal/intellectual reasons rather than sure 'feelings' and bad experiences showing it fallacy.

From this other angle, I feel I HAVE been lied to, deceived, and manipulated by an organization with those responsible, primarily being a few men at the top and their support staff. This is not something easily forgiven and my trust of anything the wts says is virtually nil.

Even at the canadian centre of the 'mother' organization, I wasn't mistreated (mostly cuz we got out for one of the few 'acceptable' reasons imo) and in fact really enjoyed my 'assignment'.

boa.....also going down memory lane...

• ball.
    ball.

Well, I will go even further than what you say. I guess, unlike you, I was treated badly by the society and my family was affected by the blood issue and cruel disfellowshippings and family breakup. However, I guess you could still call me a "moderate" because I still feel the organisation is good for some people (the right people and not children) and although there is a lot of rot in the organisation, it is made up of a lot of people who are misled themselves. Not all of us see the organisation or the people in it as 100% bad, nor do we expect the whole thing to collapse.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

I'm of an age, that my parent?s generation?s memory of their childhood was that of the Great Depression. Folks like my dad for instance, shared with me many times as I was growing up, "We didn?t know we were poor". Meaning, that even though with all of the hardships that were going on around him, the Depression happened at such an early age for him (it began when he was about four years old) that they (his family) was so busy pulling together just to survive life?s hardships that all he remembers now is the warmth and love he experienced with his family through those difficult times. Of course, now he realizes they were poor because everything is relative and he now has things and money in the bank and an easy life. And while he still cherishes his memories of growing up with his family through the Depression, he worked very hard at being a provider for us while grew up so we would have plenty. He wanted better for his children than he had; yet he wouldn't think of trading his memories of his youth.

I think many former JW?s may feel this way about their childhood and growing up as a JW. You can as a parent today want your children not growing up under an all or nothing, black or white headset, extremely demanding unforgiving religion. Yet somehow your memory growing up under it, is still something you cherish because your family ?made? it a good memory. It makes sense when you think about it.

Steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit