Blondie's Updates on Child Sexual Abuse Issues

by blondie 17 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

Are the WT going to appeal against this, like they appeal against everything else that don't suit them?

• blondie
    blondie

Wallflower, I'm sure the WTS does not want any laws that require clergy to report abuse/abusers under any and all circumstances. But the WTS is not the only religion trying to hide the problem of sexual abuse in their organization. We know the Catholic Church has been, Mormons, and many others. This is a case where the WTS is working with Christendom much like the situation whether to charge for literature in 1990. Swaggart lost then and the WTS suddently "simplified" the literature arrangement. As the article shows the governor in that state has no qualms legally or religiously about the clergy being required to report abusers. To date, there is not a current case in Wisconsin.

Blondie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This should prove interesting in how the WTS describes the activities of the Elders. Are they Clergy or "untrained volunteers"?

Right now they claim Clergy Privilege when they don't want to report abuse... but this law says that regular conversations are not required to be reported. This creates a catch 22 for the WTS... will they claim Clergy Privilege, or will they say that it was just a casual conversation with an ?untrained volunteer?... which is not covered by Clergy Privilege.... or will they try to say both during different phases of the trial.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

There are sixteen states remaining, out of the 50, that have ecclesiastical exemptions for reporting child abuse. Like Blondie said, even though Wisconsin was just paying lip service with this passage of law, the governor is definitely willing to sign a law that crosses his desk with more bite to it. He has his pen ready. So what say we all write the governor of Wisconsin, and maybe the congress people, and senators, and let them all know what we think? Congratulate them for passing this new law (even if it is just a token) and encourage them to get more aggressive in their stance on child abuse legislation!

Here are some helpful addresses:

Office of the Governor

Hon. Jim Doyle
    115 East State Capitol

Madison, WI 53702

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/senate/senhomepages.html (WI senators and their home pages)

WI senators and representatives to the US Congress: http://www.uscongress.com/

Good luck!

CG

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

The WTS has claimed to be like clergy in the past as an excuse why they didn't report child abuse. But now that it's required they will find some other reason not to.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks CG, for that info.

There was a march for child abuse in Washington, DC, on April 17. Silentlambs and many other organizations were there. I couldn't be there, but here due to the magic of the Internet, you are there.

Walking the Walk-Silentlambs in Washington D. C.

The banner was a great addition to the Race to Stop the Silence

We are happy announce that the March in Washington D. C. was a tremendous success. It was a moment that will be remembered for years to come in that it marks a positive direction in reaching out and standing up with other abuse survivors to speak out on abuse. (continued at site below, pictures)

http://silentlambs.com/newsletter/NewsLetterItem.cfm?SendoutID=229

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks for posting this blonde.

This was an important step for the JW abuse issue. I suspect few on this board will take note of its importance.

What it did was help link the cause in JW land with other legitimate groups that share a common interest - protection to the kids and to hold people accountable for their actions. There is a load of experience to be shared by all these groups and intermiggling at these functions will help Silentlambs and the rest of the survivors out very well. This plays well with the recent annoucement of other legitimate groups directors coming on board to sit on the SL board of directors as well as Mr. Bowen sitting on their boards.

Well done Bill!

hawk

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, hawkaw. I agree with the historic linking up with other organizations with similar goals. I have been doing that here in my own state bring the silentlambs piece to the pie. I hope some are reading and are encouraged to see what groups are in their area. Clergy sexual abuse is bigger than the WTS, bigger than the Roman Catholic Church. Together we can accomplish more in fighting it.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit