The theory of relitivity?

by weasel 10 Replies latest jw friends

• weasel
    weasel

Looking at the scope of this world can any human boast that he or she is greater or superior to anything else on earth?

• Stone

• Water

• Soil

• Wildlife

• Insects

• Oxygen

• Plant life

I sometimes wonder. The foregoing will be here long after we are dust and I suspect us humans will too, for how long, I do not know.

I, for one, believe that all the things of earth are one and equal, none greater and none lesser. None.

The Weese

• logansrun
    logansrun

For a moment there I thought this would was going to be an interesting thread relating to science, Einstein and the new physics. I was wrong.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/launches/next_launch.html

Watch the next Nasa rocket launch live on the web!

They will be putting the Gravity Probe B into orbit. This probe will be used to test some of the "space warping" theories put forward in the General theory of Relativity.

Gravity Probe B Launch Scrubbed for 24 Hours For 1:00 p.m. EDT Monday April 19: Minutes away from the liftoff of NASA's Gravity Probe B spacecraft from Vandenberg Air Force Base, Boeing Launch Services mission director Rich Murphy called a hold in the countdown, effectively cancelling today's launch.

The launch had just four minutes left to go when Murphy called the hold. High upper level winds had plagued the countdown despite otherwise clear weather conditions and launch officials could not verify whether the proper flight profile was loaded onto the spacecraft to guide it through the wind disturbance.

Already on its own internal power, Gravity Probe B was scheduled for a 1:01:20 p.m. EDT (1701:20 GMT) liftoff, but had only a one-second window to launch and be properly aligned with its guide star once it reached space. The launch is now delayed 24 hours until 12:57:24 p.m. EDT (1657:24 GMT) April 20.

This marks the second launch delay in a week for Gravity Probe B, which was scheduled to liftoff April 17. Officials scrubbed that launch to fix a short circuit in remote monitoring equipment for the probe's battery voltage. There were no mechanical problems during today's countdown.

The Boeing-built Delta 2 rocket is expected to launch the spacecraft into a 400-mile Earth orbit for a 16-month mission.

A collaboration between NASA and Stanford University, the Gravity Probe B mission is designed to test two principles set by famed scientist Albert Einstein in 1916 by his general theory of relativity. Once in orbit, the spacecraft will measure tiny variations in the spin of four onboard spherical gyroscopes - each the size of a ping pong ball - to test how the Earth's presence warps the space and time around it, which is called the geodetic effect. The probe will also look for evidence of frame-dragging, the tendency of the Earth's rotation to drag space and time around the planet as it turns.

SPACE.com will resume launch coverage for the April 20 launch. Tariq Malik, Staff writer for SPACE.com.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I, for one, believe that all the things of earth are one and equal, none greater and none lesser. None.

The greatest and most enlightened spiritual teachers of all times would likely agree with you; except for them it is not a "belief", but rather a conscious awareness of Oneness. That there seems to be many pieces, parts and separations is conceptual and not real or actual (as I recall Quantum Physics may have hinted at such a possibility as well). Such can not be understood by the mind which functions through definitions and fragmentation (which has it's place). It is felt or lived rather than thought or conceptualized. Look deeper into your own sense of being and ask "Who am I, really?" Go deeper and deeper and see, clearly and unquestionably see: are you who you have believed yourself to be? Or is all that just thought? Is there a deeper Truth, a more significant one? A closer more intimate and vibrant one? One that sets you free? No one can answer for us. j

• Carmel
    Carmel

If human life is to be "equal to" a rock, a leaf or a nanny goat, much like comparing poker chips, then who is the great poker player that give value to blue, red or white ones? If his nibs is so bent on equalizing all things, go for it. I'll be he doesn't bed down with an octopus!

carmel who has "values" and enjoys the heck out of them

• Corvin
    Corvin
    Looking at the scope of this world can any human boast that he or she is greater or superior to anything else on earth?

Well, when you consider that some are as dumb as a stone, can't hold their water, always soil their britches, behave no better than common wildlife, should be stepped on like insects, definitely need more oxygen to their brains, and the IQ of plantlife, I would say that some things on this earth are better than others.

I, for one, believe that all the things of earth are one and equal, none greater and none lesser. None

Good for you, man.

I am just arrogant enough to presume I am better than those things . . . aren't you?

Corvin

• Satanus
    Satanus

Arguably, there has been some evidence of humanity concurent w the dinosaurs. If that is so, it says a lot about our resilience. They are gone, we are still here. We will likely be here a few more millions of yrs.

SS

• Navigator
    Navigator

Saint Satan

I'm not aware of any "concurrent" evidence of man and dinosaurers. Have you a reference?

• rocketman
    rocketman

Like Bradley, I thought that I'd be reading something about Einstein on this thread.

Anyway, since we're on the topic, I've always been amazed at how new scientific experiments and observations have confirmed his theories.

• logansrun
    logansrun
    Arguably, there has been some evidence of humanity concurent w the dinosaurs. If that is so, it says a lot about our resilience. They are gone, we are still here. We will likely be here a few more millions of yrs
    Methinks you have been reading some looney creationist literature, SS. For a good rebuttel of such foolishness go to www.talkorigins.org

Specifically http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CH/CH710.html

B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit