JW Get-togethers

by Nosferatu 24 Replies latest jw friends

• exjdub
    exjdub

Memory Number 2:

Large wedding in Vermont. Everyone is invited and asked to bring a dish of food. At the reception there is a lot of great food due to the response. Exjdub notices a very large "Sister" partaking heartily, throughout the night, of the bounteous banquet that Jehovah had provided, which would not have been noteworthy except for the moronic, hypocritical, hilarious thing that she reported later...Sorry, I digress. Toward the end of the evening, after the disc jockey was finished, some brothers who had formed a band from the local congregation asked to play. They did a really nice set of some Blues and I really enjoyed it. However, after the softball incident mentioned above, I knew that nothing good was going to come of it. How right I was. At the next meeting I was making small talk with Elder Dumdub (yes the very same elder from the softball game.)

Elder Dumbdub: "Brother Exjdub, what did you think of the band that played the other night at the wedding?"

Exjdub: "I thought that they were very good...I liked them."

Elder Dumbdub: "I received a report that a sister became violently ill because of the music. She had to pull over on the side of the road to throw up on her way home from the wedding."

Exjdub (suspecting strongly who it was, because she was wagging her head in disapproval while the band played): "Brother Dumbdub, that didn't happen to be the rather large sister that was overeating all night was it?"

Elder Dumbdub: "Well...I guess it was"

Exjdub: "So it was the music and not the enormous amount of food that she ate? (Exjdub says in his most humble Ministerial Servant voice he could muster at the ridiculousness of it all.)

Elder Dumbdub: *smiles condescendingly as he shakes his head and walks away*

...An inspiring and true story with the Presiding Overseer of the Keene, NH Kingdom Hell...

Ps: We moved a short time later.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    you'll just have to imagine.

If I'm gonna use my imagination, there sure won't be any shorts involved.

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

I remember going to JW bowling parties on Thanksgiving Day. Instead of spending precious time with my family over a nice turkey dinner, it was spent in a smokey bowling alley. Afterwards we would all meet at a local family restaurant for dinner. Many times we were the only ones at the restaurant. How incredibly sad...

YellowLab

• Badger
    Badger

These were the only really fun times I had as a JW...the good ones who were really sincere would show up and potluck (and I could show off my cooking skill) and we'd have some dancin', while the jerks would stay away.

Also, where I got my first kiss from a total fox...

But all that's changed now...you're not supposed to gather the night before a meeting (1969 KM...actually dragged out by a CO), and the jerks have taken over. The few G-T's I go to (I'm still in good standing, remember!) is just me and a few dudes playing Axis and Allies or soccer.

We used to have parties at my hall...where I could go and look at other kids with a straight face and say "Yeah, I don't celebrate christmas, but I we do have fun other times." Not now...How sad. The few things I do remember as looking forward to and being fun aren't there. Even the fun after conventions, such as it was, is now right out.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I usually enjoyed the picnics at the local park if we could spread out some and play some games. The little kids are so fun to interact with and it's nice to be outside.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit