scholar and 1914

by Marvin Shilmer 63 Replies latest jw friends

• scholar
    scholar

Mary

You sweet little thing. You state that the Gentile Times began in 70 CE and not 607 BCE, if this is the case what then is the duration of these times and when did it end?

scholar

• Farkel
    Farkel

"scholar"

: It is simply fact that in the nineteenth century many sincere Bible have long recognized the significance of the Gentile Times and some applied chronology to determine its significance and it was determined by some that it would expire in 1914 which saw the Great War.

Not to harp on your un-scholarly syntax, but your passion for this begs the subject, "just what WERE the times of the Gentiles?"

Don't give me the WTS bullshit. I know that. Give me some Bible evidence to explain just what they were and just what they meant. Jesus and only Jesus mentioned this subject and he only mentioned it once. What did he mean?

Without understanding EXACTLY what the Gentile Times really were/are, chronology pointing to when "they" (we don't know what "they" are) started and when "they" (we still don't know what "they are") ended is all bullshit.

Have a nice scholarly day.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

scholar,

: You sweet little thing. You state that the Gentile Times began in 70 CE and not 607 BCE, if this is the case what then is the duration of these times and when did it end?

May 3, 70 CE, 10:25 AM to 9.30 PM same day. Some other scholars think it ended at 9:35 PM or even the wildly-speculative theory that it ended at 9:45 PM. Jehovah told me this. The whole damn thing happened in less than a day. All the rest is bullshit.

PROVE ME WRONG.

Farkel

• Mary
    Mary
    You state that the Gentile Times began in 70 CE and not 607 BCE, if this is the case what then is the duration of these times and when did it end?

Jesus did not give a specific number of years. He simply said that Jerusalem would be trodden down by the Gentiles until the appointed times are fulfilled. My personal feeling is that the Gentile Times came to an end in 1948 when the Jews returned to their homeland. I'm not saying this is a fact, but it makes far more sense than the absolutely ridiculous doctrine taught by the WT.

Brother Russell originally taught in the late 1800s that, according to bible prophecy, the Jews would one day return to their homeland. Ironically, the ONE frigging thing he actually prophecied correctly, was changed by Rutherford who was extremely anti-Semetic. All the scriptures that speak favourably of the Jews was re-interpreted to apply to "Spiritual Israel", or The Witnesses; any scripture that spoke of the Jews in a negative way was re-interpreted to apply to Babylon the Great.

• scholar
    scholar

Mary

You have a theory about the Gentile Times but I believe the Society's view in keeping with tradition is superior to yours;

Regards

scholar

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    scholar

Hons Research Scholar

• outnfree
    outnfree
    I believe the Society's view in keeping with tradition is superior to yours ;

Please, scholar, enlighten us as to WHAT TRADITION the Society's view upholds (other than its own)?

(I will be back later with a brief history of WT teachings about the Time of the End" nicely compiled in Walter Martin's The Kingdom of the Cults.)

outnfree

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

AlanF:

" ... that declared until about 1930 that Jesus had returned invisibly in 1874."

Correct. The support for this is found in the last known formal reference to Jesus return in 1874. Ref. the book, "Prophecy" by J.F. Rutherford, pub. Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, 1929. He commented at the bottom of page 65 that Jesus returned in 1874.

The entire post 1929 theology of the Watchtower regarding Jesus return in 1914 is a fiction. They twist their own history by trying to claim that their religion pointed to 1914 as the time of Jesus return ... rather, reading all of the Watchtower literature prior to 1914 point to that date as the time that Armageddon was supposed to take place ... and it failed miserably ... so, Russell then changed the date to 1915, and that failed too ... and all subsequent dates for Armageddon have failed again and again.

The Watchtower Socety never even considerd the notion of Jesus return in 1914 until sometime in the 1930s when Joseph F. Rutherford was forced to entirely reinvent their failed religion.

Scholar:

"Russell and his associates took up the challenge and correctly discerned the significance of the Gentile Times and the Parousia."

You can see from my reference to the Watchtower book, "Prophecy" that Russell did not point to 1914 as the "parousia." He and the Bible Students already believed that the "parousia" occured in 1874, and this belief was carried through to at least 1929. So, your knowledge of Watchtower history is typical of current belief among average JWs ...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Scholar, that manifesto of which you speak, would that be the one touted by the Advent Testimony Movement, after the Balfour Declaration in 1917?

http://www.lamblion.com/other/social/SI-01.php

• Mary
    Mary
    Scholar droaned: You have a theory about the Gentile Times but I believe the Society's view in keeping with tradition is superior to yours

Well Scholar you know what Jesus said to the Pharisees: "...By your tradition you make the word of God invalid..." Thanks for showing that the Society is absolutely no different than the Pharisees (who also thought they had "the Truth").

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit