Running into JW's

by Dawn 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

This past week I met an old friend for coffee - she's a x-JW also but still in the trap of thinking they are the "truth" - in fact, she's trying to get reinstated, but that's another topic I'll leave for another time.

As we were having coffee 2 car groups of JW's came in for their service break. Her reaction was obvious to me that she felt uncomfortable with them there. As I was noticing her reaction I thought of the stages I have gone through since I was DF'd.

At first I was embarassed and ashamed when I would run into JW's somewhere. I felt almost as if they owned whatever place they were at and I didn't belong. I knew what they thought of me, how lowly they viewed me, and I wanted to slink out as fast as possible.

I moved from shame to anger - it would P*%% me off when I would see them - who do they think they are - the self righteous &*(!!.

But now I don't feel shame or anger - it's more of a kind of pitty - like I felt for a girl named Patty in high school. Patty was friends with one of the "popular girls" and Patty thought this automatically made HER popular. Patty was the most stuck-up little witch I ever knew in high school. The funny thing was - she had nothing to be stuck-up about. She wasn't pretty, no talent, and definately no personality to be envious of. The only thing she had going for her was that she was friends with a popular girl. Unknown to Patty, she was the joke of the school. Every time she left the room the girls would laugh about what a shallow snob she was and the boys would make fun of her ample bottom, lack of good looks, and how easily they could get her in bed. Even though I couldn't stand Patty, I felt a bit sorry for her because although she thought she was on top of the world, she had no idea what a looser everyone else thought she was.

When these JW's walked into the coffee shop this is how I looked at them. They were in a little glass bubble of their own reality and I was on the outside with everyone else looking in and saying "oh how sad". I didn't feel like an x-jw - I felt like I was just another person in the coffee shop.

I might not have even realized I had reached this point had I not been there with my other friend who was a mirror of my past. I'm not sure when I moved on to this stage - but it feels good. I'm no longer a victim, I'm not even a survivor. I'm just me and they are them. I think I have finally healed.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Very nice post Dawn. I remember pure fear at certain stages. And you're right... I feel sorry for them now.

Bryan

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    Running into JW's

At first I thought you were talking about driving over them in the street or something ... but wouldn't the bookbags leave a big dent in your grill?

Glad you've made peace with your past & moved on.

• Odrade
    Odrade

yeah, the dubs called here today out in field service. I said "no thanks" and shut the door. Funny I felt no compulsion to engage them in conversation. Good thing, they were from my old congregation, although they didn't recognize me. I just felt badly for them.

O

• boa
    boa

danno and I must share some crazy monty python view of life or something cuz I also thought this would be some post about playing car vs. jw ro something.

dawn - glad to hear you are doing well now. I believe the power lies with those outside the org - what you see when a big group of them are around is more a pack type 'strength' in numbers.

boa

if they leave me alone, i'll leave them alone...

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Dawn, your post made me smile.

I too felt that sense of inner peace when I attended my 2nd memorial after leaving the organization (it is the only thing I do still related to the JWs - and I do it to keep my mom happy). Anyway, I had been out for a little over a year. Immediately after I stopped going to meetings, I was always looking over my shoulder at the mall, or elsewhere, afraid to run into a JW. I had this sense of guilt - a false sense of guilt, but it was there none the less. I felt like I was a JW who wasn't doing what she was supposed to be doing . . . hence the guilt. Anyway, when I attended that memorial, I felt liberated in a sense. I realized that I didn't feel like a JW who wasn't doing what she was supposed to be doing, but instead I felt like a visitor at the KH. I didn't owe anything to anyone . . .it was just me. I wasn't ashamed and I didn't try to avoid anyone. The memorial this month was my 3rd and the feeling was even better. No feelings of guilt what-so-ever. In fact, I can agree with the feelings of pity and empathy for the JWs.

Just my $0.02 that I wanted to share.

CF

• Dawn
    Dawn
    At first I thought you were talking about driving over them in the street or something ... but wouldn't the bookbags leave a big dent in your grill?

LMAO .... Dan-O, you are naughty!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I get 50 points everytime I run into them!

alt

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Dawn, I think my profile does say something about being a 'naughty little Danimal'.

Hey, Boa? Ever seen Deathrace 2000? How many points do ya suppose you'd get for bumping someone with one of the really big bookbags like my dad used to carry?

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Thanks Dawn for posting this. I'm still sometimes in that anger stage when I see them and I truly hate feeling that way about anybody. Good to know there will come a time when I can feel differently about them.

Sadie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit