My daughter came home wearing a cross...........

by happehanna 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Carmel
    Carmel

I can send you a nine-pointed star if that will help!

caveman

• xLaurax
    xLaurax

Lol, i can see what you mean. I got a cross and matching earrings as an Xmas present off of a boy from school. They were really nice and no doubt expensive but when i opened them my mother was unimpressed to say the least. She does however class herself as a Jw (when i say that i mean she believes all the crap but on mot occasions does not act upon it).

In a way it felt weird to me when i out it on but i did not want to offend the person that bought it me and at the same time didnt want to upset my mum. I know that like people have said, 'a cross is just a cross' it did not dtop me feeling guilty wen i put it on. Even to this day whenever i wear the cross i hide it from my mum. Part of me feels as though i am betraying Jehovah (although there are doubts in my mind as to whether he exists) and part of me feels a hypocrite to the Christian churched as i don't believe what their religion either. Confusing heh

• Jonty Parkin
    Jonty Parkin

Hi Happehanna,

Don't worry about feeling unnerved. I don't know about you, but I was a JW for more than 20 years. It takes a long time to rid yourself of guilt feelings and and the lingering grip mind control when you have bought into such things for so long. But you do find yourself eventually.

The last meeting I attended was in 1998, but my now-treasured freedom of thought did not happen overnight. On the contrary, it took several years. But now, in the year 2004, I really do feel as though I have returned to my "factory-preset-default setting"; that is, an easy going, tolerant, life-loving person with an open mind.

One of your other correspondants on this thread suggested alternate means of spirituality, such as tarot cards, runes etc. Each to his/her own of course, but I personally have found these to be of value, and I am still an occasional bible reader, and I even say the odd prayer now and then. I use the quaballa, the I Ching, and I have even practiced simple candle healing spells popular among wiccans. Why, I have even found a pseudo "christian" tarot deck, called "tarot of the gnostic saints."

When I was an "elder" (ha ha!), I would have been appaled at any/all of the above, sumarrily dismissing such shocking outrageous practices as a demonic snare! Thankfully, however, my thinking is no longer conditioned and bound by such idiotic myopia, and I can actually think for myself again!

One reads a lot in JW literature (I use the term "literature" loosely!) about the folly of superstition and how we ought to avoid its snare if we want to please Jehovah. And yet the JW's are among the most overtly superstitious people on the surface of this planet! It is because of this legacy, which you are now slowly recovering from, that you are disturbed by your daughter wearing a cross.

Take a moment to remind yourself that it is only the JW's doctrines that formerly conditioned your thinking, not actual truth. You are now free. My advice to you, is to allow your daughter the same freedom. If she wants to wear a cross, let her.

But most importantly of all, dare to believe that you have the freedom and the capacity to formulate your own values and spiritual practices!

Jonty

• happehanna
    happehanna

Thankyou Jonty

I was a JW for 43 years and it will take awhile to rid myself of odd feelings every now and then.

I saw a programme many years ago about china and was very jealous of the lifestyle shown there it seemed so simple and so real.

Apparently it isn't a cross at all it is something to bring her good health as she is ill at the moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit